1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma beat writer | The Norman Transcript

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Feb 14, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Salary: 30-35k

The Norman Transcript seeks an accomplished writer to cover sports at the University of Oklahoma and area prep schools. The reporter will cover major OU sports, including football, and will have area prep coverage responsibilities as well. Applicants must have digital as well as print experience, and embrace the importance of a vibrant social media presence. This job requires strong writing and the ability to build up sources quickly in a competitive beat. Coverage will be shared with our 15 sister CNHI papers in Oklahoma.

Send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Transcript Editor Caleb Slinkard at jobs@normantranscript.com.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - OU sports reporter

2. Sneezer

Sneezer New Member

Does this position include five furlough days per quarter as has been policy for years with CNHI?

3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

35k to cover the Sooners? No, that's not depressing at all. I need a drink or 10

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

And remember, it's not just the Sooners. Get your ass to a high school game every Friday night before your Sooner-filled Saturday.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Like" doesn't convey the right response for me. This job listing is depressing as hell.

7. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Hey their Stillwater cohort a few years back advertised an OSU beat gig for 18k. 35k makes that uh...well....less depressing. And Norman, in the shadow of The Oklahoman pays a full time Thunder beat guy. The AP guy in Oklahoma isn't even a full time Thunder guy.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow. That's 20 days off a year or four weeks ... wonder if you still get the $35k or they dock you for it, and you're really only getting around $31k.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Fuck that bullshit.

Liut likes this.
  10. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

Where did John Shinn go? He's been the OU beat guy for a long time there and does a great job. The paper is pretty solid, but CNHI tho ...

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The moment I saw CNHI was where the needle scratched.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Which is probably a good thing, because then every Thunder AP story would say "Thunder ... it." /crossthread

Draft saved Draft deleted