1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saddest Song of '80s.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Our Time in Eden" was on my desert albums list for a really long time. Haven't listened to it in a while, but next time I do it'll probably hit me that "These Are Days" is actually about a school shooting or something.

Tweener likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its another great one. I've been to 10 concerts in my life and two were 10,000 Maniacs.

Getting into the 90's, she got a little (more) preachy. I fell off the wagon.

Batman likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Great song.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was the same way. I got into them just as they were breaking up, so I never went to a concert, but they were a favorite through my early college years. And then Natalie Merchant went off on her own, started catering to the Lillith Fair crowd, and I got the sense I wasn't the audience she was going after as a solo artist.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was chatting with a coach before a baseball game today, and Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" started playing over the PA. I mentioned how it was a depressing song, since Tommy and Gina's life pretty much sucks on every level. He said he'd never really paid attention the lyrics and just thought it was a song about being an underdog.
    After thinking about it some, it got me wondering which side that falls on. Is it a depressing tale of blue collar hopelessness? An encouraging song about fighting against the odds? Can it be both?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I dunno, but with the grunting-orangutang opening, LOAP is just begging for a Blue Swede "Ooogah Chocka" remake.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Cyndi is incredible. The lyrics for "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" are actually really sad in a lot of ways—it just doesn't seem like it because of the music. "I want to be the one who walks in the sun" kills me every time I hear it.

Third Eye Blind pulled the same trick with "Semi-Charmed Life." Poppy, hooky song behind a suicide note, basically.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I loathe Bon Jovi and I loathe that song.
    That said, it is clearly intended to be hopeful.
    Despite their difficult circumstances, the couple has each other. They have love that can carry them through their troubled lives.

What a terrible song.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You're a music snob?

#politicsthread

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think of myself as a music snob.
    I think of myself as having excellent taste in music, though.

(I once micturated on Bon Jovi's old home in Sayreville, NJ.)

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

If you're pissing on the guy's house, seems snobby to me.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do such a thing now.
    At the time, I was a 19-year-old college student under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

Draft saved Draft deleted