1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Willie Taggart refuses to take questions from Oregonian reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Yeah, he played it "cute" and the problem is it's a very serious story. This is one of those stories where playing it "cute" was a mistake by the writer. Best to stick with the facts in situations like this than to embellish them to look cute to his peers. Readers don't really care how cute you are, they just want it right.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Except that calling the workouts grueling wasn't really untrue. Grueling is as grueling does. Grown men went to the hospital. A coach doesn't have universal rights to define workouts.

3. Doc Holliday

Shouldn't he at least witness them himself, though? I think he should if he's going to describe them in a manner that discredits the head coach and the staff.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How does calling a workout grueling or military style discredit the coach and staff?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seeing Twitter pictures of the two of them smiling together, I guess they got it all worked out

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, they did.

Willie Taggart is an interesting guy, that he'd take a selfie. But I guess it works. He also thought he'd been stabbed in the heart.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

People were hospitalized as a result of these workouts. How did the reporter err by calling them tough?

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It seems weird someone would have to personally witness anything that discredits a football staff. If you talk to several people who did the workout or were at the workout and they describe it as such, seems like an OK thing to write.

(Interestingly, I was talking to a doctor friend who basically said college football players going to the hospital for Rhabdo is a pretty common occurrence, though it rarely becomes public)

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

grueling
    adjective gru·el·ing \ˈgrü-ə-liŋ\

variants: or

Definition of grueling

1. : trying or taxing to the point of exhaustion : punishing a grueling race

Whether you witnessed it or not, given the outcome, this workout seemed to be the very definition of grueling, no?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is common.

11. Doc Holliday

Well, if it's not true, then it discredits the coach and the staff.

12. Doc Holliday

That wasn't the case for every other player on the team, minus three fat out of shape linemen.

But, to answer your question, I'd have to have seen the workout in person to know the answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted