1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

La La La: An Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

So far, I've seen one of 2016's major-award-winning moves. Batman v Superman won four Razzies.
    Razzies announces winners - CNN.com
    If "A Man Called Ove" wins the foreign film Oscar, I will have seen two award winners. That's the only other one I've seen that's in contention. I need to get out more.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Loved "The Artist".

3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

They already have those awards. They are the Academy Awards show.

This thing is even more of a dinosaur than the Grammys. Factor in the political speeches/smug, and it will be another overblown production.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Note: I also posted this on the "Last movie..." thread:

I'm not sure it will win the Best Picture Oscar -- it might be too quiet, or without enough of a "cause" for that -- but I saw "Lion" today, and really liked it.

I'm thinking/hoping, it may be "Fences" for the win in something of an upset, actually. But it will probably be "Moonlight" or "La La Land".

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Of the Best Picture noms, I've seen Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Moonlight, and Hell or High Water. I enjoyed Arrival and Hell or High Water the most, but I thought Moonlight was the better film. Extremely well written, shot, acted. I am kinda hoping it wins, but it doubt it will. It seems like La La Land is going to win everything. Snore.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Moonlight really ran through every social angst angle. Bullying, race, homosexuality, drugs, black kids not having fathers, masculinity.

I couldn't stand it, but it probably wins.

QYFW likes this.
  7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Fat Oscar is KC style? Nice!

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most socially aware movie since this one:

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Tonight's big winner will be the first movie that Kimmel has to admit he watched.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I laughed at his takedown of that Meryl Streep, who has mailed it in for more than 50 films.

Also, now we can talk about ACADEMY AWARD WINNING FILM Suicide Squad, so hell is freezing over.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'll tell ya what: The spotlight sort of stops when it lands on Janelle Monae. She has "it."

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Curious: Wasn't the OJ documentary a made-for-TV thing, or did it get into a theater? Or does that matter?

Draft saved Draft deleted