1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running off-season CFB thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Chef2 and dixiehack like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Ole Miss/Miss. St. thing could spread like wildfire. Basically all the SEC programs are dirty to one degree or another, and everyone knows some dirt on someone else. When things went to hell with the old SWC that's exactly what happened. One school would get put on probation and know (or think) that another school had ratted them out, so they retaliated. That wound up with basically everyone in the conference but Rice being put on probation at one point or another. That's the period when Ed Fowler at the Houston Chronicle started to refer to the SWC as the "Society for Wrongdoing and Corruption".

Even the taking the money and then going to a different school is nothing new. It's kind of like a drug dealer being robbed. What's he going to do, call the cops and report it? A UAB booster I know, big contractor, told me a story several years back. He went deer hunting with several deep pockets Auburn boosters and while sitting around the campfire and drinking bourbon talk got around to recruiting. One of them was seriously pissed off because they had paid T.J. Yeldon $400k to sign with AU and at the last minute both he and their money went to Alabama instead. Was I sitting there and heard it said myself? No, but I've tailgated with the guy for a decade or better and he had no reason to make something like that up. Google Yeldon's... ah, nevermind. T.J. Yeldon's flip from Tigers to Tide 'sent shock waves' through state and nation, recruiting analyst says

It's the SEC. "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying."

Point being that if people start ratting each other out it can snowball fast.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

The horrors!! Students getting paid for their labor. Money should definitely go to the coaches and ADs instead.

6. Neutral Corner

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What incentive does the NCAA have to blow up its most profitable revenue stream? The old SWC was peanuts in a financial sense back then, and back then is peanuts compared with now.

8. Neutral Corner

I think that college football players being paid for putting their health on the line so the schools and the NCAA can make beaucoup money is another discussion altogether.

9. Neutral Corner

Then change the rules and stop the charade.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I can buy the premise but not the amount. If Auburn was offering $400k for T.J. Yeldon then Cam Newton should sue for back wages.

11. Neutral Corner

Yeah, understand that. I got it second hand and can't really vouch for any of it, other than that I trust the guy I got it from. Could easily have been exaggerated for conversational emphasis.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You never know how a silent auction is going to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted