1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

And while we're on the subject of "taking bumps" I absolutely HATE how Dean Ambrose reacts after a big spot. Eyes wide open, no wincing, or selling it. Its' horrible and it's really soured me on him.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In a way, though, it makes a bit of sense. Character-wise, he's so nuts that he doesn't really know he's in pain.

3. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

This next question may stir up a bit of a debate, or people may just think I'm nuts(wouldn't be the first time).

Is Shawn Michaels overrated?

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

His second act is better than the first. He's a top 5 WWF guy. If its possible to be that good and still be overrated by people who have him above Hogan and Austin then yeah he's overrated.

Argument against him: His first run on top coincided with the business bottoming out and nearly being killed by Turner......he was home in a drug induced stupor for most of Attitude era....and by the time he made it back business had cooled considerably. So if the most popular and profitable period in wrestling history went on right in the middle of his prime years, without him, how high can you really rank him?

Rainman likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't think he's overrated. He's one of the top 10 of all time, and while Jimmy's point about the Attitude Era is well taken, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a person whose favorite Wrestlemania moments didn't include at least one or two involving Shawn.

His two matches against 'Taker alone are on the short list of the greatest matches in Wrestlemania history.

I also think pre-injury Shawn is actually underrated. He was incredible.

Rainman likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

In-ring wise, no way. He was unreal, both on offense, and on selling (Hogan match not withstanding).

Personality-wise, perhaps. He was good, not great, on the mic. I never really watched him and thought, "God, what a great promo." I also did not like him in the latter stages of his first act (his first DX stuff.) Just a little too over the top, for me.

Rainman likes this.
  7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Interested to know the answers of this one.

If you could manage one wrestler per decade from the '70s through the '00s, '10s, who would they be?

9. Baron Scicluna

Who knew the Academy Awards would have a Dusty Finish?

(Stolen from Twitter)

10. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

He is tubby. That's why they let him go last time, and then he went ahead and got bigger. Still hard to deny his in-ring talent and indy cred, and I guess that's why they brought him back. He should be a nice veteran asset in NXT with strong potential to wind up working as a trainer at the Performance Center very soon.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Observer from Feb. 27:

- The Hardys are expected to be free agents soon. Their TNA deal expires in a week or two. They haven’t had negotiations with WWE, but the company is interested in bringing them back in.

- Naomi suffered a knee injury similar to Rollins’, but not as bad. It’s unknown if she’ll recover in time for Mania. It’ll be Lynch vs. Bliss going forward, although Tamina is an option to insert into the feud too.

- Balor is advertised for house shows starting March 10.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's hard to take him seriously even as an NXT talent looking like that. I ahven't seen his indy work but sheesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted