1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Time MAC Team Basketball Teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Gary Trent and Earl Boykins are all-timers in the MAC.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

As a MAC alum, I can attest interest is so low and reporting so sparse that if you have any connections to programs at all as a fan, you can find some really favorable lines.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Chris Jackson as a 3rd team guard does not compute.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When I was writing down names on the envelope to come up with this, it quickly became evident what a ridiculous logjam existed at center and forward. You've got hall of famers coming off the bench and multi-year All-Americans fighting to make honorable mention, while in the backcourt it's Pistol Pete and then a free fall down to second place.

I feel pretty secure with Donovan as second team coach but after that it is a crapshoot. Thought about Dale Brown and C.M. Newton for the third team. Babe would be another strong candidate.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Rupp resigns because he refuses to coach King, O'Neal & Wilkins

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Yes, but Petitt was also a great college player. He averaged 27 points and 15 rebounds during his college career. At 6' 9" he was basically the first guy that size who could be effective facing the basket and was an excellent jump shooter.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty sure EMU was still Div. 2 or "Small College" when Gervin played -- as I recall he was suspended for the "College Division" tournament after getting into a fight during a game.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia EMU jined the MAC in 1971.
    You are correct. I did not think EMU was in the MAC when Gervin played there in 1971-1972. But when I checked Wikipedia in the link I previously gave they said EMU joined the MAC in 1971. So I thought that meant he did play in the MAC.

But according to the Wikipedia site on EMU basketball they did not paly ithe MAC until 1974. So off the lsit he goes.again he was playing in a NCAA college division semi-final game so EMU must not have been tournament eligible or playing in the MAC.

This is my corrected team'

First Team
    Forwards Wally Szcerbiak (replacing George Gervin)
    Dan Majerle
    Center Nate Thurmond
    Guards Ron Harper
    Hal Greer

Second Team
    Forwards Jack Twyman
    Gary Trent (Szcerbiak promoted)
    Center Wayne Embry
    Guards Bonzi Wells (replacing Antonio Daniel)
    Howard Komives

Charlie Coles and Komives both lead the country in scoring their senior years. But Komives was a three time all conference pick and Coles only made it his last two years so I used that to break the tie. Chris Kamen improved a lot from his junior to senior year, increasing hsi scoring from 12 to 22 points a game but Embry lead Miami to conference champions and was All-Conference both his junior and senior years so I kept Embry on the second team.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Antonio Gates has to get HM. His junior season he averaged 16.0 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game, Kent State won its first regular season championship in school history and reached Elite 8.

Senior season averaged 20.6 points, 7.7 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game.

And he's a sure-fire HOF selection (in football, of course).

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If somebody here puts up an all-time Pac-12 team, will anybody not from UCLA make it?

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Given about 10 seconds of thought ... no.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Gary Payton?

Draft saved Draft deleted