1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 Running NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have somehow never seen the Shaqtin a fool segment as I don't have TNT and only see them if a Canadian sprts network picks it up.

Thanks for that, made my Friday night.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A good read. Sounds like Shaq (or maybe the TNT producers? and where was one to let him know?) may have let it go on too long and McGee finally reached the breaking point. Kudos to Kerr and Durant for rallying to the cause, but Shaq then had to throw some gasoline on the fire.

4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Keyshawn Johnson and Mychal Thompson Passionately Accused Dan Le Batard of Racism for His Magic Johnson Criticism

This is getting some national play even though the controversy originated on the local only Los Angeles ESPN station. Dan LeBatard was criticized for saying that Magic has been the affirmative action guy based on charm and celebrity and has failed in all most all of his endeavors, e.g. talk host, basketball coach and NBA commentator. Clearly Magic is popular as a NBA commentator, so LeBatard is wrong there.

Magic used to have problems with the "Kings English" but to his credit he has gotten a lot better in the last several years. However I think this may have contributed to the perception of him as a celebrity business person a la Trump, rather than a shrewd business mind.

5. LongTimeListener

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

It was funny until Aug. 1, 2016, the day McGee signed.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's funny when Barkley goes into his I hate the Warriors act, because the Warriors, in most cases, will do something to shut him up. But this feels different. And I'll address the elephant in the room: Is it a race thing? Or is it being brushed off because the warring parties are both black?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What's the race angle?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

McGee accuses Shaw of being a minstrel.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

(1) Not racism.

(2) LeBatard is an idiot, going down the same failed road of trying to pigeonhole every flaw into one category, even though he claims to oppose this very tactic.

Remember: Being an idiot isn't necessarily racism.

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

That column failed to convince me of much.

The clips from the show do signify a low basketball IQ. When the guy piggybacks two different opposing players in 5 seconds, he either has a low basketball IQ, or he's on something.

Bad few days for outraged SJWs. Lots of fury, but very little substance. Must. Do. Lots. Better.

Draft saved Draft deleted