1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor | Pensacola, Florida

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jan 20, 2017.

1. albert777

albert777 Active Member

One of the happiest days of my life was when I left the office of the Gannett paper for which I was employed for most of my career for the last time, to start my current gig as a community college SID. It's like night and day.

Doc Holliday and Liut like this.
  2. CrawDaddy1

CrawDaddy1 New Member

Maybe theyll just never have a sports editor ever again

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon. Write a good enough story -- like the kid dying in Santa's arms -- and they'll run it in USA Today and other Gannett publications.

It doesn't even have to be a true story!

Tough to beat that opportunity.

4. bevo

bevo Member

Don't see why they would. Other Florida Gannett papers don't.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This shit job still open? I figured it would be filled by now. Twenty-five years ago I'd have been interested in this place. Not a chance in hell now.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Hell, do they have an editor? I think there's an editor in California who now oversees five or so papers.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's Gannett. You've been warned.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Yep, still open. If I had to guess, it's going to be one of those positions eliminated in Gannett's silent round of layoffs last week. Like I said six months ago, it was made very clear that "sports editor" was not a full-time position at the PNJ. The job posting can say otherwise, but it's 30% sports and 70% other stuff. But again, that was six months ago. Maybe things have changed. But the fact that they haven't hired anyone in six months makes me think this position will remain dark.

Sad, too, because that's a good sports community.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. Dailyconvo

Dailyconvo New Member

Only open position on Gannett's career site for Pensacola is in sales. Looks like this one isn't getting filled.

StaggerLee likes this.
  10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Strange that they would advertise it as a sports position, getting sports minded people to apply. But, then, no fucking wonder it's still open when you think about it. Who in the fuck goes to an interview to be told 70% of the work you'll do is not even close to what you think it is and actually still wants the shitty job?

What a dishrag operation.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And that "part of the USA TODAY NETWORK" brag is bullshit, too. RUN AWAY!

12. CrawDaddy1

CrawDaddy1 New Member

This position was frozen in that recent Gannett layoff/cutting. I feel comfortable saying the hyperbole and general snowflake-ishness by posters not named Stagger Lee impaired their hiring process. Good job guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted