1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rooney to the Chinese Super League will break my heart just a bit. Tough to blame him if the 1m per week salary is legit.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Gary Lineker played in Japan back in the day.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There just isn't a place for Rooney in the current United squad. With Herrera and Carrick playing really well in front of the back 4 and Pogba a must include, it only leaves spots for 2 midfielders and 1 striker. Right now, Zlatan and Mkhitaryan have to play when healthy. Rashford, Mata and Martial deserve the other spot more than Rooney. Because so many of the United players (like Zlatan, Carrick and Mata) aren't fast, you only have very limited spots to choose Rooney, who puts in 100% effort but has lost 2 steps.

If I'm United, I sell and get a proper Carrick replacement, another defender and possibly a striker.

4. Inky_Wretch

I know, it's makes sense for the club and for Rooney's bank account.

But, still ...

5. Webster

I agree -- he's a great player who has served club and country with nothing less than his all (a couple of contracts blips notwithstanding). In a way, he's like Steven Nash or Zidane -- when he's on the field, United have to play with him as the focus of possession. And he's just not good enough anymore to have that sort of influence on a top 4 side.

With the possible exception of Everton, he's not going to another EPL team. And other than maybe PSG, no one else in Europe is going to pay his wages. So his choices are China, MLS or the Middle East. I thought that LA would be his destination, but not if the wages in China are to be believed.

6. Inky_Wretch

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Paul Gascoigne bolting to the J-League in 1990 was a shock.

8. Webster

Good for him. He certainly is getting paid in full for the next 2.5 years.

I wonder if he will make it to the England squad. He really shouldn't be in their first 11.

9. Webster

Ranieri out. As his paisan Sylvio Dante once said, "you're only as good as your last envelope."

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Too bad Ranieri got the boot, but if I were him, I'd call the BBC, get my Italian ass on Match of the Day to work one or two nights a week, and wear around a big sign that said "I MANAGED TO WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITH LEICESTER? CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT SHIT!?" and cash the hell in. He's done his work.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Webster

Some soccer podcast said that relegation (with or without a deep Champions League run) would make the story more epic.

Surprised they did this now. 2-1 down with an away goal is very doable and they have too much class to be relegated.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Leicester are 17th, but they're virtually in the relegation zone because Sunderland can be counted on for a late push to safety every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted