1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Multi-level marketing.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Separate bathrooms for men and women
    Separate bathrooms for whites and blacks

Are you really not getting this?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Architects can just put in one bigger communal bathroom.

As long as we get to keep urinals. Or, the trough.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You still haven't said how they're being being discriminated against by having separate bathrooms. Merely having separate facilities doesn't mean it's discrimination. Discrimination happens when there is harm being done because of the separation.

Blacks were harmed because the facilities frequently were not equal, and, even if they were, there was harm because they were not being treated like any other male or female. Transexuals are being harmed because, with a separate bathroom, they are not being treated like any other male or female that they identify with. Heterosexual men aren't being discriminated against because they're not being harmed by using a men's room. Heterosexual women aren't being discriminated against because they're not being harmed by using a women's room.

Or, to use another example, are college athletes being discriminated against because there are separate men's and women's teams in different sports?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Because someone in North Carolina decided a law needed to be passed?

This has been and still is a giant nothingburger. I'm sure, given where I live and the smallness of my bladder, that I've peed next to a transgender at least once, and didn't even know it.

And it's not like there aren't laws already on the books making it illegal to molest people in public bathrooms, regardless of one's certainty about one's gender.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, we've seen this before in many forms. It might not matter how minor the minority is. Crusaders are going to crusade, and the liberal media is going to jump on the bandwagon.

I don't believe I just said that, but it's the truth.

Batman, BTExpress and Alma like this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually, no, you doofus ... everybody else is treated exactly as they were born (biologically male or female), which is how transsexuals would be treated. But that's neither here nor there.

The suggestion was "unisex single-stall" bathrooms. Everybody uses whichever the fuck one they want.

You're arguing that we have to have only "male" and "female" restrooms and that they have to be open so that everybody can see everybody else. A trans woman has to see and be seen by other women, you're arguing, otherwise we're in Jim Crow territory.

Alma likes this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You are endorsing separate but equal. It's fine, but Brown v. Board of Ed disagrees.

Because I'm tired of this game, there is a difference. In equal protection law, distinctions based on race get strict scrutiny, which is almost always un-passable (with a notable exception). Gender based differences get intermediate scrutiny, which means there could be good, valid, reasons to distinguish - like separate bathrooms or dressing rooms. The point is that your analogy is not good.

Stoney and Alma like this.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They're coming for catnip next!

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I was in high school the girls had a couch in their bathroom and doors on their stalls, so it turns out it was actually a group of mostly white, middle class males suffering bathroom discrimination!!!!!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So many gay republicans!

Maybe BuzzFeed will out them like the Daily Beast outed gay Olympians.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you're on Grindr, aren't you pretty much out already? Or is there a no-outing policy like the one we have here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.