1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Google tool aims to fight trolls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 23, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm of the belief that improving the level of discourse on the Internet is a fool's errand, but good for them for trying:

Google fights online trolls with new tool

And, in case anyone was wondering:

The n-word was rated as 82 percent toxic; c---, a term for women’s genitalia, was 77 percent toxic; k---, a derogatory word for a Jewish person, was 39 percent toxic; and c----, a slur for a Chinese person, was 32 percent toxic. If you add the phrase “you are a” to any of those words, the toxicity score goes up.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Jeff just ran to his computer and doesn't know why.

FileNotFound and Vombatus like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kike kind of faded away over the last few decades. I'm more impressed when someone DOES use it.

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you can't troll better than that, you should be zapped from social media.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Vin Scully probably used it quite a bit over the last couple of seasons.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

pussycat

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hmm. I figured someone here would have created a sentence with all four words by now.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They already track everything, guess why not try to make themselves look good.

10. Vombatus

They're bigger than US Steel.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Years ago, we had a whole list of words that were filtered out of our comments system. It was amusing how extensive management went with it. Made sure to add in multiple variations of words (ex. b!tch for bitch). The sheet had to be a couple pages long.

12. Vombatus

I was trying to create a whole list of words like that for use while driving. Commuting back and forth from DC to Norfolk, and those fucking I-64 and I-95 corridors, I knew I had to extend my vocabulary.

Draft saved Draft deleted