1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

SnarkShark likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One thing I really admire President Obama for is that he was out in front of so many of these LGBTQ issues so early in his presidency. Literally from day one. Like this transgender bathroom guidance thing ... it's a shame Trump's undoing something that has been in place so long.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. doctorquant

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

At least this is relatively original. Wasn't "Democracy Dies in Darkness" a deep cut off "Master of Puppets?"

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's been somewhat amusing to see the total lack of fucks John Boehner has remaining. IIRC, he either owns or is the son of a local bar owner. Despite the many things on his record (not the least of which his being from Ohio), I'd probably still have a drink with the man.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

So nice of him to grow a set of balls after he's out of a position to possibly do something positive.

Don't get me wrong, I actually think Boehner was a good public servant... until he caved on all he believed in.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Obama was late to this for sure, and of course it was all because of political cover, which is shitty.

Ultimately, he did the right thing. His late arrival to the matter doesn't make Trump undoing it the right thing to do.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So many of these executive orders that Trump has rescinded were out the door decisions.

Obama didn't want to run on them, he didn't want to defend them, and he didn't want to govern under them.

But, he was happy to leave them to the next guy.

It's almost like they weren't actually priorities. Or, maybe he didn't even believe that bathroom policy was a civil right.

9. YankeeFan

I don't have to defend my indefensible position to you, or anybody else!

Songbird likes this.
  10. doctorquant

Meh ... give the guy a break. Holding back the rise of the oceans keeps a man busy.

11. YankeeFan

No. No. I'm on your side with this one.

Let the states decide. But, if you're going to let states legalize the recreational usage of a Schedule I drug, you might as well get rid of the whole FDA, and the drug approval process.

Let the 50 states decide.

12. YankeeFan

No. This is happening because the former president ruled by executive order, and presidential fiat.

A president can set policy. Policy can be changed by the next President.

If he wanted to make these changes permanent, he should have worked with the Congress and passed legislation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.