1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 Running NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cal could get to work on that career .391 NBA winning percentage.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I assume you have some familiarity with how the League's salary cap and various other contract/roster restrictive rules work, right?

This ain't like college recruiting at UK where Calipari can just go load up on whoever he wants with a smooth-talking sales pitch. Having Anthony Davis and Boogie Cousins together seriously limits how much more a coach can add going forward. Suggesting he could just easily "add Bledsoe, Booker, and Wall to Davis and Cousins" is one of the more amusingly naïve statements I've seen in quite awhile.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Would Cal know what to do having the same players together for more than one season?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It isn't how I'd want to live, but he seems happy turning over his roster every year for a fresh batch of lottery tickets. He's already said he doesn't want the Pelicans job, and I doubt he ever goes back to the NBA.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, Stoney, it was just an extrapolation of thought, a what if? after the ESPN heads floated the idea of Cal to New Orleans. I believe there are 24 Kentucky players in the league right now, enough for 2 full teams. Wouldn't be so hard to find 3 more to round out a Pelicans 5. As for "Bledsoe, Booker, and Wall", the point was that those 3 and Davis and Cousins would make a pretty strong starting 5 -- not "Hey, let's go try to make that happen, salary cap bedamned!"

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  6. Songbird

Minus Cal as coach, which of these 24 would you try to put together as a starting 5 and 6th man, whether staying within the cap or saying to hell with it and going over and paying the luxury tax?

Lot to choose from.

Screen shot 2017-02-23 at 6.49.51 AM.png

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I know that the Celtics want to hold on to the Brooklyn pick, but I think that this is the time to strike. Thomas is 28 and Horford is 30. Most likely, by the time that this year's top pick is ready to significantly contribute, the two of them will be on the decline. The East is really there for the taking right now given Love's injury.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

For whom?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Knicks

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

From your mouth to Ainge's ears.

11. Songbird

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

What if the Warriors added Russell Westbrook, Jimmy Butler, and Carmelo Anthony? I bet they'd be pretty good. Yo, ESPN! Produce that segment!

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted