1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ: NASCAR, Once a Cultural Icon, Hits the Skids

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, but the casual NASCAR observer is what put them over the top. And what seems to be leaving now.

maumann likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Should have been clearer with the "they."

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The broadcasts have tried to inject some explanation over the years, like with the cutaway car and "tech garage" segments and such. But then, yes, they throw it back to the Waltrips and a bunch of other folks who sound like they're on Nascar's payroll. Agree, very tough watch.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The incredibly sophisticated engineering that's done on these cars is almost never covered. Why not some more (I assume there have to be some) features on the offices and garages back in Charlotte? And why are a bushel full of complicated split second decisions by drivers and crew chiefs boiled down to the eternal questions "two tires or four" and "tight or loose."

5. playthrough

I'm having a tough time still believing that Nascar sells big numbers of cars. I know there are some direct connections, like Rick Hendrick's dealerships, and a heckuva lot of people drive a Chevy because Junior does. But I'm not buying the old "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" when it's, say, Denny Hamlin winning in a custom race car with Toyota decals. People are buying cars because the economy is OK and they were going to buy anyway. They're not choosing one over the other because a certain driver got a big run off Turn 4 last weekend.

Also, Dodge weaned itself off the sport and is still in business.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The cars NASCAR races aren't even available models at dealerships. Used to be Ford raced Thunderbirds and Chevrolet raced Monte Carlos. There was some talk when Cadillac and Lincoln were sagging in the 90s of entering the Eldorado and Mark VIII (a race car with a fake spare tire hump). Since neither makes a two-door anymore they've modified the Taurus and Impala. Toyota races a modified Camry I believe. No regular person can identify with these cars.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of my grandfathers worked at a Ford dealership for more than 50 years. My father has had a Dodge dealership for more than 35. I can assure you, nobody is buying cars these days based on race results.

8. jr/shotglass

Well, again, the question is whether you're catering to the "motorheads" or the unsophisticated viewer who just enjoys the spectacle. I think NASCAR had the "motorheads" at hello.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think all fans like the idea of being "in the know" at least a little bit. Plus, more focus on technical stuff would help fill up broadcast time during those "long runs" midrace where even the uninitiated know nothing is happening.

10. jr/shotglass

You might be right with some, and it's a good point about the midrace dead time. Myself, I don't much care about the inner workings of the restrictor plate. I want to see them trade paint.

11. playthrough

And Chevy's discontinuing the SS, which never caught on in the marketplace (they were imported from Australia, a fact that I'm pretty sure was never uttered in a race broadcast). So there will be a "new" race car in 2018, bet on the Impala or Monte Carlo returning again.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Considering GM hasn't mentioned any plans of bringing the Monte Carlo back I'm assuming it'll be the Impala. Be weird to bring back a nameplate that hasn't been in showrooms in a decade (and it still pisses me off).

Draft saved Draft deleted