1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help wanted: College football reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AJC SEC, Feb 21, 2017.

1. AJC SEC

AJC SEC Member

Cox Media Group launched a new NFL website last summer, and we're looking for full-time and part-time breaking news reporters who can cover the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12. You would be dedicated to one of those conferences, so let us know which one you know the best in your email.

You must be available to cover the teams during media availabilities throughout the week and during games. We need reporters who understand how to aggregate news, develop sources, and have the ability mix in the elements of opinion, analysis and humor. We’re looking for energetic writers with an endless stream of fresh ideas for feature content.

If you're interested, please do two things: Please email a copy of your resume and variety of 10 clips (features/enterprise, breaking news and multi-media), along with your conference preference, to SECBloggers@gmail.com. The official job posting is here: Search Jobs at Cox Companies

You can live remotely for these positions, and pay depends on experience.

Note: This is different than our NFL listing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Why is it that every single one of your supposed job openings link to a "the job is no longer available" on the COX page?

Seeing as this post was not even 7 hours ago and has already vanished, smells awfully fishy.

3. AJC SEC

AJC SEC Member

4. Now it directs to the job search home page and a search of "college football" brings up zero results. It would probably also help if you linked to this "new NFL website" you refer to being launched last summer.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I could see why they are having trouble filling jobs. That's pathetic. And Cox HQ probably is paying a bunch of recruiters in HR.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's a terribly confusing ad.

It says it's for an NFL-centric site, but you'd be covering one of five college conferences. And the email address is SECBloggers.

It also says you must be available to cover media availabilities and games, but you can live remotely. I have no idea what the expectations would be.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Isn't this like the fifth or sixth time this ad's been posted? What does it say about the site/management that has that kind of turnover?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Who probably have no idea what to look for in a true candidate. That's how you get 25-year veterans on the sidelines while people with no experience get jobs.

9. sshap36

sshap36 Member

I freelanced/contracted for their NFL site, All22, for three months.

If the college gig is the same, it's an aggregation job -- taking news from other places and spinning it into short posts about 200 worlds long.

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Are any of those worlds capable of supporting life?

Dave Royse likes this.
  11. sshap36

sshap36 Member

It was paid per post for me, which equated to about $500/week during the season focussing on one specific team. There were others working "full-time" on the news desk and looked at league as a whole, and I'm not sure how well they were compensated.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not bad for part-time work. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted