1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At first thought, I agree. It won't be a technical masterpiece that we want from Styles. But if we get a really good brawl, and Shane does another huge stunt, it could be pretty entertaining.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sure, but if you thought Shane vs. Taker was an A, then this is probably a B or B+ at best. We've already seen this "trick" within the past 12 months, plus there's that sense that you're "wasting" Styles in a gimmick match on Mania. The only positive is that this will probably improve Styles' stature in the company itself, since to the McMahons, nothing is more star building than working with them.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The last thing I want to see in 2017 is a McMahon wrestle, let alone "competitively" wrestle an established main eventer.

Go jerk off in the White House bathroom if you need an ego stroke.

4. Baron Scicluna

I kinda think a Sasha/Stephanie pairing could actually be quite good. They seem like they have some good chemistry.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know. I fast-forward whenever I see Stephanie on the screen.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I guess they're trying to recreate Angles match with Shane. But that was a different time, different state of the business and wasn't a freaking Wrestlemania.

6 weeks out this looks like the worst Mania in at leaSt 10 years.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're still within 10 years of Wrestlemania 27, remember.
    And don't we say this every year leading up to Wrestlemania?

8. Baron Scicluna

Good point.

Trust me, though. There's some good chemistry. Sasha not only doesn't take a back-seat to Steph, she's come close a couple of times to just getting up in her face. It's great.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Ar least with the last 5 -10 there's been the Taker match or something very good on the undercard. This feels worse by a big margin to me.

But yeah 27 was bad. Worst since then for sure on paper right now.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They really messed up by not having Nikki Bella screaming "Whyyyyy!!??? WHYYYYY!!!???" after Maryse attacked her with the pipe.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fun read on the Glacier gimmick, 20 years later.
    Never realized he might literally have been the first guy on the roster buried by the nWo.

The $500,000 Gimmick: Glacier, WCW’s Big Bet On A Bad Idea

12. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, that was a good read. Thanks.

I remember his debut with Big Bubba Bossman. I just remember thinking how cartoony his entrance was and, compared to lucheadors and other top stars, underwhelemed by his ring style. Glad to see that he's happy with life today.

Draft saved Draft deleted