1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If it was that easy to find guns, Rick and his people would've already replenished their armory after the Saviors took all of their weapons.
    Why would they trust a group about which they know virtually nothing? Doesn't matter if you're talking about the Trash People or Rick's people.
    Why would they trust a group whose leader makes decisions based on whether someone survives an encounter with an armored zombie gladiator?
    Why would you trust a group whose leader affects a really dumb manner of speech (this goes for Trash Queen or Dreadlock King)?
    Why would you trust a group whose leader admits openly that their philosophy is to take from others rather than build or work for things on their own?

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This was my biggest problem with the episode, how quick Rick was to trust this group. Sure, we'll get you some guns, random trash lady with a bad haircut. Don't worry about throwing me in a pit with the spike monster. We good.

I know he is desperate for numbers, but this really made him look stupid to me.

Also, can someone explain to me exactly what happened with Gabriel? I guess I'm fuzzy on how the last episode started, but he made it sound like the trash people took him hostage and forced him to steal all that food. Is that correct? Seems kind of random.

The Darryl/Carol stuff was great. I know why he didn't tell her about Glenn and Abraham, but I was really wishing he would. Carol going off would finally light this slow-moving shit off. She may even be able to convince King Whatever to join the fight.

Joe Williams likes this.
  3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

With the usual disclaimer this is of course fiction and based on a comic book .... I think Rick is so driven to get rid of the Saviors he doesn't care about anything mentioned above. He sees numbers (and basically this is the only way to get it). Guns? Eh, he'll figure it out on the fly. Of course, Tara knows where there are guns.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Funny to look back at how wrong I was in thinking the trash people were the Amazons.

Overall, the episode was solid. I enjoyed Daryl meeting back up with Carol and seeing Morgan starting to come to a place where he's going to relinquish his non-killing policy.
    Maybe next episode we see the Amazons? I think Tara is going to lead them to the Amazons to get their guns.

And what is up with Sasha and Rosita's little beef? The latest installment felt rather forced

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe Rick has proven over and over that he's not the brightest bulb in the trash heap.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The last time Rick was blindly confident about something like this, it ended up with his friend Glenn having a Louisville Slugger implanted in his skull.

I know we, the audience, are supposed to see him as a brave leader of men. But he just comes across as stupid when he repeats the same mistake over and over. And it has been costly throughout the series. The Jail. Woodbury. Alexandria. The guy destroys everything he touches.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, what choice does he have? The trash folks had taken their stuff and claimed possession of their lives. Rick's only real option was to cut a deal.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That's true, and cutting a deal to spare their lives makes sense. But that wasn't all he was doing. He was also cutting a deal to fight alongside the people who just kidnapped them and stole from them. Why in the world would he trust them not to just take the guns and split? Or to make a better deal with the Saviors?

I hate that this show has me rooting against its main character. And his stupid son. Get a haircut.

9. outofplace

Rick certainly isn't a true hero. He screws up far too often. He struggles with bouts of insanity and he has done horrible things. Then again, the story has always been about what humanity would do to survive such a nightmare scenario rather than the heroic tale of a man and his band of survivors.

spikechiquet likes this.
  10. outofplace

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I had no idea there was a racist past to "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe."

Apparently I was one racist bastard in first grade when I was picking teams for kickball.

KYSportsWriter and Batman like this.
  12. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I was led to believe that the person in the boots while Rick was at the boat was one of the trash can people. Those people followed Rick and Aaron back to Alexandria, and eventually kidnapped Gabriel and the goods. Gabriel left Rick a clue, and here we are.

Draft saved Draft deleted