1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP The Sports Reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 23, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. DarkHorses

DarkHorses New Member

I don't see anything wrong with what was done by Page Six.

Sorry, I was never a fan of Lupica or Albom as I made it a point not to watch when he would 'guest host' for Saunders. Once Saunders died and Lupica took over, I struggled to not watch.

After the cancellation announcement, I was struggling to figure out the best new Sunday format that could involve national sports columnists a chance to expound about their Sunday or best column of the week to expose a story. But then I realized ESPN wouldn't want to promote the newspapers or the columnists that weren't their own.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How many "national" columnists are left, those who belong to ESPN or otherwise? Hell, I was a major market columnist for the second paper in my town and there were times where I got the town car-green room treatment. Not many, but some. 10-15 years later, there's none of us left. The "regional" voices are either gone, purely local, or have become "national" know it alls.
    The idea this business has a Red Smith or Jim Murray is long gone. I'm afraid that the Mike Wilbon of 1992 wouldn't recognize and would be horrified by the Mike Wilbon of today. PS: I am citing Mike because I know him, respected his work as a columnist very much, and see him as an example of the economic forces shaping this business, not because he's done anything I consider wrong.

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Wait. So yelling about a minor-league hockey jersey isn't the long-term goal?

5. SellOut

SellOut Member

I'll echo that on Wilbon (and even Tony K, who spend his early days in radio and often in his column crushing "talking heads" only to find it was so lucrative to become one). I was with a former colleague and longtime friend of Wilbon's over the summer and we started talking about Wilbon's nauseating name dropping and fan boi-ing and the friend just shook his/her head and said "if only he could hear himself."

Then again, as Nick Naylor said in "Thank You For Smoking" ... "everybody's got a mortgage to pay."

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was snatchng some low-hanging fruit there.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The talking heads draft Tony did on his show once was hilarious.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I remember he also once did an NFL "Mock Draft," where callers had to make their picks while imitating Keith Jackson, Charles Barkley, Bill Walton, etc.

9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Whitlock puts Lupica in a vacant, in honor of the final show:

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm no Whitlock fan, but I certainly don't think he pulled this out of thin air.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

First guest, Whitlock?

Draft saved Draft deleted