1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Cobain at 50

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 20, 2017.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed 'Drain You', even more after hearing Butch Vig explain how it was recorded:

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I generally try not to be that guy, but does anybody else think the Foo Fighters song Dear Rosemary is about Kurt being murdered?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My favorite is probably "About a Girl" from Bleach. Love the Beatles vibe.

Outside of that, my favorites are the unplugged versions of "All Apologies" and "The Man Who Sold The World."

Honestly, if Cobain survived I think it's pretty likely that "In Utero" was it for them, or close to it. Kurt would have gone solo, Dave would have formed Foo Fighters, Krist would've been the "I used to be in Nirvana" guy.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nirvana was the first band I heard (and I was a middle aged parent at the time in his 40s) where I thought "these guys could be it, these guys could be Dylan or the Beatles for a new age." Didn't happen. Too bad for all concerned, especially for music.

6. Jake_Taylor

I always kinda figured Kurt and Dave would have both gone off to do other things, but Nirvana might have gotten back together for an album every few years or so.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I actually love You Know You're Right, the posthumously released track. Also love Something In The Way.

A good friend saw them when they were touring Bleach. Maybe a dozen people in the club. He's automatically the coolest guy I know regardless of what he's done in the... OH GOD 28 YEARS... since.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nirvana's stuff is so resonant of Lennon's Plastic Ono Band period, the fun thing is imagining a never-assassinated 55-year old Lennon collaborating with a still-alive Cobain in the mid-1990s.

Imagine the Beatles Anthology/ reunion project featuring guest appearances by people like Kurt.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Ooh, maybe we would have had a fun Lennon/Cobain-McCartney/Grohl rivalry.

bigpern23, OscarMadison and Songbird like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Complete and total brain fart. Disregard.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Scentless Apprentice

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can think of the Beatles and Nirvana jamming together at some mid-90s HOF ceremony or all-star concert, with Nirvana ripping through "Glass Onion" into the Beatles and Lennon on "All Apologies," with every guitarist in the joint plugging in for the feedback/distortion finale.

I'd guess if the Beatles were all hale and healthy in the Nineties and got back together, one of the things they would have done to break out of a mold of boredom or predictability would have been a "Sins Of Our Children" covers album of songs by artists clearly influenced by the Beatles themselves.

Just as the Beatles started out doing tribute cover versions of songs by their idols and influences in the Fifties, the late-period resurrected Beatles could return the favor by covering some of their own musical disciples.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted