1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA hates straight players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Feb 21, 2017.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Candice Wiggins says she was bullied for being straight in a league that's "98 percent" gay.

Wiggins: WNBA's 'harmful' culture of bullying, jealousy

“Me being heterosexual and straight, and being vocal in my identity as a straight woman was huge,” Wiggins said. “I would say 98 percent of the women in the WNBA are gay women. It was a conformist type of place. There was a whole different set of rules they (the other players) could apply.

“There was a lot of jealousy and competition, and we’re all fighting for crumbs,” Wiggins said. “The way I looked, the way I played – those things contributed to the tension.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

98 percent seems a little low.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

“Nobody cares about the WNBA. Viewership is minimal. Ticket sales are very low. They give away tickets and people don’t come to the game.”

Uh-oh. Loading up on the popcorn and waiting for Christine Brennan to chime in.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Fighting for crumbs?

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

98% is pretty strong; but for me, I'm going to need more corroborating evidence than just one person's opinion.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Live stream the locker room would boost ratings

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's really hard to make those rosters, and then the lifestyle eats up the salary.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I know a few former women's pro players.

They're treated like queens in Europe compared to here. The gap is wide.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I was talking about this story with a co-worker today.

We were saying how easily someone could screw up their career covering it. One mistake -- especially from a male reporter -- no matter how unintentional, and you could get into a lot of trouble. I'd bet there are a ton of reporters glad this isn't something they have to cover.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Wonder how much of a part this played.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Probably quite a bit, KJIM.

And I'm not sure a career change to beach volleyball would help with some of Wiggins' issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted