1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway: NASCAR 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree, which is why I wish Nascar would have at least left the segments out of the Daytona 500. I'd never criticize guys for "riding around" in a plate race -- that's called keeping your nose clean for the end instead of courting disaster. Instead, Nascar is forcing Lap 60 drama. Watch a backmarker make a stupid move to try to win a segment and wreck 20 cars in the process.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not good for a sport when they make too hard for fans to keep score.

Hermes, Batman and wicked like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The randomness of it is actually one of the reasons I love that Talladega is a Chase/playoff race. It's the one race where everybody has a chance to either rise up and win, or have their dreams crushed in spectacular fashion. There's a spectacle to it.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Puts a lot of pressure on the producers of the broadcast to get the relevant into on screen at the right time, right?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Danica, hun ... you need to put on some weight.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I saw the season is off to a rip-roaring unofficial start with another rainout in the Bud Monster Clashout or whatever.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Do they test for hgh?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't there supposed to be points involved in that somehow?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think it's broken, but right now (and for the foreseeable future) it's overbuilt and there's little that can be done about it.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for the meetings with TV execs. Were segments really the best solution or just the least-sucky of what Nascar proposed?

The midweek night races are an interesting idea. I don't think there's any question they would help TV ratings. But they also wouldn't draw flies at the gate and I think race fans, perhaps more than other sports' fans, look at the stands and use that as a barometer on whether they should care in their living rooms. I mean, if I'm watching a PGA Tour event and the grandstands are half-full on 18, I don't care. Ditto a midseason baseball game.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And given that the low seats aren't the desired ones, anytime you turn on a race the stands can look half empty.

Draft saved Draft deleted