1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

La La La: An Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jan 24, 2017.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think because it still isn't a level playing field. There are more good roles written for men than women.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? Do we do this in any other profession, despite the imperfect playing field?

3. Guy_Incognito

Would a category for best black actor and actress be a good idea?

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Probably not. The division by gender is there historically so it doesn't seem as divisive, I guess.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

WNBA

6. Guy_Incognito

See my original question. There are real physiological differences between men and women that make a joint league unwise. Is this true about acting?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guy, I understand where you're coming from here, but there has not been an awards ceremony in any field in all history that has reduced the number of awards it presents.

8. Guy_Incognito

OK, but why isn't it offensively condescending? Not my place to tell people when to be outraged, but this seems much worse than many other things that trigger protest.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe we could have the Best Actor and Best Actress winners battle it out in a steel cage for ultimate supremacy.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, the Oscars did eliminate the child actor award, so there was that.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

All acting awards that I'm aware of separate male and female awards and I don't know any actor who is complaining about that. Again, it's not a level playing field yet so the historical categories still work.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, that Mickey Mouse Club spun off quite a few stars.

Saw Lion this weekend, so only missed Fences. Also rewatched Arrival. Lion, damn those were some great performances by the leads, both the young protagonist and then Patel. As for the story; one of the most emotional stories I've experienced in a while.

Best story, IMHO, is Hidden Figures simply for the historical reminder combined with the excellent performances.

After rewatching Arrival, I think its the best combination of story, performance.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted