1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Steak Snabler likes this.
  2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb, Judd, it's never ever a good idea to use rape when analogizing. That's gonna backfire every time.

My favorite analogy for the Trump presidency thus far came from some dude at a town hall: It's like were all in the back seat of a car being driven by a clearly drunk driver and can't get out. Say it's something like that. Not rape.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Eh. It was a standup performance. Probably all in the delivery.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Rape, cancer and Hitler analogies are always bad. No idea why anyone ever goes there.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Michael Scott:

dixiehack, Stoney, SnarkShark and 2 others like this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It still blows my mind what Hogan's Heroes was a thing.

Loved watching the reruns as a kid, mostly because I thought the tunnels were cool.

Steak Snabler and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. doctorquant

Oh those wacky Nazis!

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Donald Trump: What's wrong with the president battling with the FBI/CIA?
    John F. Kennedy: Nothing to lose your head over.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. doctorquant

I teach in downtown Dallas in the spring, and my route home takes me right over the spot (there's actually an X painted on the street there) where the main shot hit home. Was kind of weird at first, but now I hardly ever think about it.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I thought Scott Adams was a smart man.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I hadn't really watched any Hogan's episodes in 30-some years, but I saw a couple episodes recently, and you know what: they didn't soft-pedal the Nazis or make it into a big yuck.

They made it very clear the Nazis weren't screwing around -- they were killing people, and lots of them.

Of course Klink and Schultz were screwups, and the middle level generals like Burkhalter were Col. Blimp types like in every army, but the Nazis overall were portrayed as very bad people.

And as I recall, Hogan sabotaged a rail line that blew up and killed a carload of German troops, and his reaction was essentially, "tough crap," so they weren't making him a goody-goody either.

So maybe it was a little edgier than I remembered.

I think they got some public heat the last season or two of the series to grit things up and make it clear the Nazis were very bad guys.

A lot of episodes in the first couple of seasons could have been outtakes of "I Love Lucy" or "The Flintstones."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly. How did anybody get a meeting of more than 15 seconds with a studio exec after saying, "Got a great idea for a sitcom. The Nazis! I'm telling, ya, comic gold!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.