1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Steve Buttry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Steve has been the object of scorn here over the years.

He doesn't have much time left. Cancer's got him good.

He tweeted this today.

2. Songbird

I worked in the same company for a few years. He didn't really teach me anything I didn't know about social media. He used me as an example of how to cover breaking news in the world of social media.

I also never had any issues with Steve. He always brought a good attitude to social media training sessions at the paper I was at.

3. Songbird

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I'll risk wading in here.

I have to give him credit for deciding he could present just as well on some topics as the "established names" could. That takes some daring.

I was not as much a fan of the "unbolting" cause, especially when others around me had already "unbolted," to the detriment of the rest of us.

It's unfortunate that he and/or others believed his ideas simply weren't given enough time to take root. But some of that is simply the reality of the task at hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted