1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NSMA or other Organizations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cjohns41389, Feb 16, 2017.

1. cjohns41389

cjohns41389 New Member

Is anybody a member of the National Sports Media Association? I've been looking into the possibility of joining but even on their benefits page it is very vague about what they could do to help further my career. Or if perhaps somebody has any other sports journalism organization that they could recommend I would be interested in learning more. I've been in this industry for a few years but I'm still looking to learn and improve. Different webinars or seminars with tips of how to continue adapting to new media trends, how to approach different situations, etc. are all things I like searching for.

If anybody could shed a little light on NSMA or any recommend any other organization it would be appreciated.

2. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

I'm really curious to see what other people say about the NSMA, because for years I've basically thought it's an organization that comes across as "Please give us a bunch of money to say that you're a member of our organization."

They've actually just upped their membership dues to basically $10 month after you pay an initiation fee, which seems pretty ridiculous to me. On the plus side there's a big awards event every year and one of their new benefits is an agreement with HotelStorm.com, which I've never used, so maybe in the long run it pays for itself if you travel a bunch.

Associated Press Sports Editors is a solid organization, and holds annual national and regional meetings -- and it you really want to make some good contacts volunteer for the annual contest judging. However, you'll probably have to pay for the trip on your own. Its membership is in sharp decline and is primarily geared toward newspaper editors (thus, the name). They're been trying to increase the numbers, but I don't think they've been successful.

If you're a writer there's always organizations by sport (Baseball Writers Association, etc.). Otherwise, you're probably down to state organizations, and hopefully yours has one. Even the long-established ones are struggling.

Hope that helps a little.

3. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

I have joined all manner of professional organizations over the years and feel bad to say it, but on the whole, they offer very little.

The NSMA/NSSA has its annual awards, but I'd only ever join so that I could vote in them. I don't remember a tangible benefit for me.

I've been a member of various college and pro sports writers' organizations, and I'd say the same is true there (unless you like voting for awards, which is thrilling the first time and a chore all of the rest of the times).

They say it's a way to represent sports media as a "union," but honestly, any media versus club arguments are rarely rectified in the media's favor anyway (and if they are, there's likely someone else on the beat who is a member who can wage the war).

I think the only time I felt like an organization actually benefited the media are those at the state level, which could actually assist in setting ground rules for prep events.

The only true perk I remember ever coming from any of them was the Marriott VIP card, which I think was no longer offered almost a decade ago. Even then, the rate's always available on the web site and nobody at the front desk checks, so that's not even a big deal.

Again, I wish these organizations did more for media, but they're mostly powerless. At least the dues always went on the expense report.

4. cjohns41389

cjohns41389 New Member

Thank you guys. I'm from Maryland and unfortunately we don't have a state sports journalist organization. There aren't even meet up groups or Facebook groups. Guess I'll just just continue to network the old fashioned way and just shake hands on press row.

5. Marvin's right. The organization has been struggling for members, but do consider joining the writers' wing of APSE, if that's what you do. I believe the dues are $50 for the year and you do get access to the regional meetings, which I find very valuable for the panel discussions they present as well as for the networking or time on the side when you get to ask questions about your personal career or situation. I think you'll get your money's worth.

Good luck!

6. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

FYI, NSMA announced on Tuesday that it's moving to Winston-Salem, N.C., after previously being in Salisbury, N.C., which is about halfway between Winston-Salem and Charlotte.

Here's the new membership info:

Current full members will stay under the current structure until their memberships expire. Upon expiration, those memberships will switch to a Premium membership and will be charged a recurring monthly fee of $9.59.

New Premium members will pay an initiation fee of $50 (current members will be exempt from the initiation fee, as long as they continue their membership within 30 days of current membership expiring), and will also pay the recurring monthly fee of $9.59.

Lifetime memberships will increase from the current $600 to $750.

Student memberships will increase to $45-a-year.

Friends of NSMA (non-voting supporter) memberships will be $40-a-year.

... So if you want to join it's just $115.08 a year after the $50 initiation fee.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Also, for first-time judges, scholarships are available where your way to judging can be paid. It's how I did it in 2016 before paying my way there last week. Good way to test the waters.

jimluttrell1963 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted