1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visiting Chattanooga

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rico_the_redneck, Feb 18, 2017.

1. We're planning an overnight trip to Chattanooga next week while the kids are on winter break.

Anyone have tips/suggestions to do this on a budget. We're only a few hours away and have been many times - most recently maybe 10 years ago. Hotel is lined up - we'll be downtown within walking distances of the river and some of the attractions.

We'll be there a day and a half or so. We always liked Ruby Falls, Rock City and the Tennessee Aquarium. But looking at prices, man does it seem way more expensive than I remember. Like $150 for me, Mrs. Redneck and our 3 kids to visit Ruby Falls. Thinking there's got to be a city pass type deal where there's a discount to hit maybe 2 attractions for that price?

Also, looking for suggestions for good eats downtown. We like different types of food and I'm craft beer junkie.

Appreciate any suggestions on attractions I'm not thinking of, restaurants etc.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Do they have tours and free samples at the Chattanooga Chew plant?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rock City's cool, but Ruby Falls looks like someone peeing from 50 feet in the air.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Ruby Falls is largely a waste of time and money. You're much better off walking all over downtown and across the bridge to North Shore, or on the Riverwalk. A lot of great views and places to eat.

Urban Stack on Southside has really good burgers and beers and is one of many good joints in that part of downtown. Terminal Brewhouse is also nearby but I never loved its food or its beers, though I may be in the minority there.

In the middle of downtown is Community Pie, a good pizza joint. By the river are Blue Plate and Big River, both of which should make you happy. Of the many good places on the North Shore, Taco Mamacita is probably my favorite.

I lived there for seven years, until 2014, but since I don't have kids I didn't do too many of the attractions.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Do they still have steam train events at the old Chattanooga train station, home of the Chattanooga Choo Choo?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The combo pass thing you're thinking of is here.

Lookout Mountain Attractions - Combination Tickets

There is a free shuttle bus downtown that can save you the walk to the aquarium, but that won't do you much good going to the attractions, which are up on Lookout Mountain (and in the case of Rock City technically in Georgia).

The North Shore (across the river from the aquarium) has become the hot neighborhood with the most interesting restaurants, including Brewhaus, which has a small but solid beer selection and great food. Haven't been at night, but during the day it would be kid friendly. Awesome view of the river and downtown from the back deck. Just be aware parking is a bit of a pain.

Just downhill from there is Coolidge Park along the river, one of several places with bike rentals. There's also an information center tied in with Outdoor Chattanooga, which is part of the city parks department and does an amazing job of coordinating and programming outdoor activities. Definitely spend some time on their site before your trip.

http://www.outdoorchattanooga.com/

If you wind up at the attractions, that will put you in St. Elmo. Pretty cool pizza place there that kids would enjoy too.

CRUST - superfamouscrackerthin...

8. John

John Well-Known Member

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Lady McHack and I spent a weekend there last year. She's a National Park buff, and we were trying to save some coin, so we skipped Rock City and went to Point Park instead. Many of the same views, but it only costs $5 a head.

Biggest expense for us, other than lodging, was the aquarium, which wasn't a disappointment. Not quite as good as the one in Atlanta, but decent.

Second the idea of going across the river. We went on a Sunday night. Grabbed ice cream cones from Clumpies and took a walk along the river in Coolidge Park. We left wishing we could live in that sort of neighborhood.

The night before, we ate at Big River before going to the Lookouts baseball game. Not bad. I'd eat there again.

We did barbecue one night and went to Sugar's. The motel behind it is a total dive. But the restaurant was decent, and the balcony gives you a good view of the city.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

One of the things I miss most about Chattanooga may be Sugar's. A whole lot there I really enjoyed, maybe the okra most of all.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I always saw the billboards for Sugars but never stopped for fear of parking my car within a mile of Kings Lodge.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Main Sugar's parking lot was always fine, though I understand the fear. There was (may still be) a downtown Sugar's that was a little different but still really good.

Draft saved Draft deleted