1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rooting for the Bad Guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 17, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do think it is important to make the distinction among people who commit crimes and/or hurt others and people who are just assholes. Remember, Gibson pleaded no contest to spousal battery in 2011, so it isn't just the bigotry with him.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I refused to listen to Cat Stevens after his post-9/11 comments. I was a huge fan.

YankeeFan and HanSenSE like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wagner was echt deutsch so of course the Nazis embraced him. I'm sure they embraced Goethe too. And probably that turncoat Beethoven after the Anchluss.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I still listen to Teaser and the Firecat. So many beautiful songs.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Not that I've ever truly thought, "Oooh, I have to see that Tom Cruise movie," but I can't separate Cruise and Scientology. It gets in the way every single time for me.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Despite being a big boxing fan, I will never put down money for a Floyd Mayweather fight. Never even watched his fight with Pacquiao. I actively sought out other NFL teams to cheer for when Vick was still on the Falcons after the dog-fighting stuff blew up. There are just certain things I can't get past and allow myself to support, and animal abuse and domestic abuse are two of those things.

However, I can compartmentalize someone being a world-class douchebag. I still listen to and enjoy Kanye's music.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Woody Allen is at minimum a vile creep in my estimation and possibly much worse.
    But I still enjoy his work.

Ezra Pound was a despicable bigot, fascist and traitor - but his talent and artistry are indisputable.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The vaccine shit is going to make it difficult to enjoy De Niro's work.

9. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

None of that stuff ever bothers me. The art is separate from the person. But Vick getting impaled would not bother me.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

For the past 15-20 years, De Niro's work makes it hard to enjoy De Niro's work.

I just assume most actors and actresses are dumb.

11. albert777

albert777 Active Member

In sports, I think it goes back to the comment about rooting for laundry. If you're really passionate about a team, you root for a team and just grin and bear it with the assholes and miscreants who come and go, because every team has had them. I mean, my team, the Saints, employed Darren Sharper on their Super Bowl team in 2009, and the Saints were notorious in the early '80s for being quite possibly THE most coked-up team in all of sports.

As for actors and musicians, it depends on who they are and what they've done. I won't go out of my way to watch a Mel Gibson movie, but if The Road Warrior or Braveheart happen to be on as I'm channel-surfing, I don't have a problem with watching. And John Lennon was possibly the biggest asshole who ever stepped into a recording studio, but that's not going to affect my enjoyment of the Beatles.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We're so sorry,
    Uncle Albert ...

Draft saved Draft deleted