1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multi-Media Interns Wanted For Coastal Plain League Teams - Huge Portfolio Building Opportunity!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Shilliar, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is there actual pay? Minimum wage, at least?
    Again, this sounds like a good opportunity to spend a summer learning a lot of technical and storytelling skills. If you're in college and have nothing better lined up, it's an adventure. It beats working at some retail store for three months to pass the time.
    I don't think, however, that a lot of people that age realize this WILL be their life for two months. Between the travel and the long hours at home games (most probably don't realize stuff happens for two or three hours before and after the game — people in the media don't even realize that half the time), and being low man on the totem pole who will do a lot of grunt work, it's not going to be a two-month vacation at the ballpark. It'd be nice to cash a paycheck for all the work, if for no other reason than to quell bitterness.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We hired a sports writer a couple of years ago who literally did not know what a ball and a strike were, and created a new stat called "base runs" in his stories.
    Mentioning "knowledge of baseball" as an asset in the job ad is not a bad idea, even if it just weeds out someone like that.

3. Shilliar

Shilliar New Member

No pay outside of the meal stipend. The internship is catered to college students in need of class credit (many schools don't even allow them to accept pay while doing this.) I would not suggest someone who is graduated and in need of a full-time job to apply, unless you are simply in need of portfolio building and understand what you are getting in to. It certainly is work but as someone who started out in the sports industry as an intern - that's the reality of being blessed to work in this industry, it's work but at the end of the day it's still baseball. I think posters in here probably all remember the days of being interns, that's why we take pride in creating programs that they feel prepare them well for that next phase in life. Not to mention many end up finding jobs in the league following graduation.

Batman likes this.
  4. Shilliar

Shilliar New Member

I'll bite, what constituted a "base run"?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think it was what the rest of the world called either "runs" or "RBIs."
    For the record, I did not have a say in his hiring. I also was not entirely sad when he left.

cjericho likes this.
  6. Shilliar

Shilliar New Member

Haha we have all been there. At least he now makes for a fun cautionary tale.

Batman likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I have a friend who, when he was prep editor of a paper in Tucson, said one of his questions when interviewing stringer candidates was "what is the infield fly rule." [/threadjack]

Batman likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I work for a team in the West Coast version of the CPL. Many of our interns work for free (in ticketing, promotions, social media promotion, etc.), but get college credit and the internship experience, and since many of them are staying in town over the summer it works well.

There is no travel, because you only work home games. And often there is a 4-5 day break between homestands while the team is on the road, ample time for a part-time job. Both of the full-time, front office women (yes, we have a female GM and a female COO) for my franchise began as interns.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure there was a CPL team near my house when I lived south of Richmond. Petersburg, though I can't remember the nickname. My father-in-law used to take his youngest child, who has special needs, to most of the home games. Said they did a nice job, it was fun and entertaining. My brother and his wife always host a player for the summer college league in their area. For a college kid, this would be a fun way to spend the summer.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Petersburg Generals. They are relocating the franchise to Macon this summer, I believe.

Another bonus of summer league ball is quick games, generally between 2:00-2:20. We played a full 8.5-inning game in 1:28 several years ago.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Macon Whoopee, please?

12. Shilliar

Shilliar New Member

We still have a few slots available for this for any interested applicants!

Draft saved Draft deleted