1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much time to you get to yourself?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 24, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My main hobby is cooking, so it's much harder to get alone time indulging an activity that doesn't require me to leave the house.

I'm going back to grad school soon, though, so I'm pretty nervous about how I'm possibly going to find enough time to get through my coursework.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My kids are very young, and I've got another on the way.
    Almost zero time to myself now and for the next year or so.

MC, I'm not going to lie to you, kiss what little free time you have good-bye when you start grad school.
    Much like banging your head against a wall, it feels fantastic when you're done, though.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Meh. I spent about 30 minutes a day on average doing masters coursework. You just have to choose the right field of study! (Education, in my case)

As to the original question -- about 24 hours a day.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Right now, my son's upstairs in a therapy session and my dog and daughter are asleep on the couch next to me. This is as close to free time as I get.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm kind of glad I don't have a whole lot of time to myself right now. My best little buddy cat died on the operating table this morning. She would crawl up in the crook of my arm and fall asleep as I watched TV late at night.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Condolences, shotty. Always tough when a pet dies.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cosmo. I appreciate that more than you know.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Wife and I both are off Sundays after working Saturdays and we've more or less agreed it's a day of rest, although we do get up in time to attend the 11 a.m. church service probably three times a month (I work at night). It's my day to read, watch whatever sports are in season on TV and drink a few beers. My other day off is filled with errands, handling bills and the household budget and "honey-do" projects, but I'm usually able to relax at night.

On work days, I MIGHT have an hour to myself. Always up by 9:30 (if not earlier) to feed the dogs. Run errands and take care of household chores for the next few hours. My night work shift runs anywhere from eight to nine hours, along with 45-minute commutes there and back because I live 35 miles from the office. There's not much "time to myself" left over, and I usually don't get much more than six hours of sleep, which concerns me (and my doctor) occasionally.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Condolences from me, as well. Wife and I have been through a lot of that over the years.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Very sorry, Shotty.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To answer the question, as a single guy, way less than you might think. Though I'm a pretty social person who spends a lot of nights out with friends. I had yesterday off from work and spent most of it by myself at the house, cooking, watching TV and hockey, playing some video games ... it's good to recharge every once in a while. Too much of that and I start getting a little FOMO-ey though.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Some friends of ours -- another married couple, though much younger than us, with three kids at home -- have in the master bedroom two 50-inch TVs and two XBox consoles, so they have continued their gaming ways after marriage and parenthood.

Draft saved Draft deleted