1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Big Show vs Shaq? Will watch that.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it was already pretty much set.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hasn't stopped them from running as much as 15-20 minutes over in the past.
    That was weird, though. First, they kept playing the Undertaker's music and entrance after he was in the ring already. Then they cut to black right in the middle of it. I thought it was technical difficulties or another big entrance was coming up, but we got the Made in Ohio logo.
    Was Eugene running the production truck?

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

How are we not talking about how awesome Rollins-Zayn was? That match was amazing even if the end wasn't totally clean.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Goldberg is just awful. He was never the best promo guy, but listening to him is like a cross of two things:
    1) One of the celebrities they bring in for a match that thinks they can cut a promo in front of 15,000 people, on live television, because they watched a few Hulk Hogan matches in 1987, and
    2) The washed-up has-been trying to get the nostalgia pop with the same act he used 20 years ago, when it's obvious he hasn't kept up with the evolution of wrestling. Jericho was guilty of that for a while, too, but cared enough to finally find something new. It's obvious Goldberg is collecting a paycheck and could give two shits. He's barely getting by on muscle memory.
    The sooner he goes away, the better.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Excellent, and that's two A level matches in 3 weeks for Sami with the hardcore Strowman bout. Hopefully people are taking notice.

JRoyal likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I agree, 100 percent.

He was really good in his first promo back, but it's been all downhill since then.

As far as nostalgia, it's always been clear to me that he was the product of a very specific time and place, and nothing more. His invincibility shtick only worked during a time when the NWO was still huge and people still cared enough to see someone, anyone, start mowing them down.

That required people to be fed to him, over and over again, forever. If he had more wrestling acumen, he could've done it like the Undertaker did.

But, has Goldberg EVER put someone else over? Not just doing a job, but actually putting someone over? I can't think of anyone - maybe DDP during their feud in WCW, but that's it.

Batman likes this.
  8. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I agree on Goldberg. He was made into a star, but I never saw great substance. Half the roster could get over huge if their shtick was that they never lost and could beat everybody. To me its more impressive to carry a solid mid-card feud that to do what he did.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's not helping Goldberg that they're basically doing the same thing with Braun Strowman right now, and he's feuding with a guy (Lesnar) who spent the better part of two years destroying everybody and doing a much better job of it than Goldberg ever did.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I had the same issues with Goldberg coming in but when he came out on Raw before Survivor Series the crowd was red hot for him. He's over. Remains to be seen if it can last long term but ratings are spiking and he's getting reaction for now. They're going to ride it.....

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Also true for both of them - The more they talk, the more mystique they lose.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

With all three members of the New Day in the Royal Rumble, I wonder if this could finally plant the seeds of dissension, with one the guys eliminating one of the others. Either that, or they could play into whatever Kofi's annual Rumble stunt is this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted