1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creating an iOS + Android app for my community!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LendelS, Jan 21, 2017.

1. LendelS

LendelS New Member

I am thinking about having an iOS iPhone, iPad, and Android app for my community. I have had some requests from users because they think it will be easier to talk to the other members, ask questions and view various content I create.

Does anyone have their own iOS and Android app for their community?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What is your community? Exactly who are you trying to reach with this app?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

LendelS:

You might want to look at the existing NextDoor platform, which consists of a website and apps.

VB

4. Vombatus

NextDoor does have both iOS and Android apps, and in my area, the Police Department is using it for notices, reports and alerts. Between NextDoor and setting up a Facebook group, all of which are free, I personally wouldn't bother reinventing the wheel.

(Mod1 - sorry for my earlier post).

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Heard unemployed coal miners in Kentucky can make a sweet app.

6. LendelS

LendelS New Member

I had several points which are important to me.

1 - First I needed my own app with real time chat and private messaging including the ability to send push notifications that can be downloaded from the app stores by my users and seen in mobile (all versions) so I narrowed down the search for chat room app solutions..

2 - I needed a design to include my images, I needed my background to be black or transparent and completely white label with my logo.

3 - I do not like to install the chat in my server as this is high cpu and resource consumer. So I need a complete cloud chat service.

4 - Lastly, I needed the ability to add youtube videos, have users private message me, and have my own app account system.

I have checked several app builders and only 1 met my needs, Chatwing.

I choose Chatwing finally as it has real time messaging built in and can be custom branded as my own app plus can be integrated into my web page.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You're in the wrong place.

8. Vombatus

tbf, shh!

He could be unwittingly creating the next great SJ.com fallout shelter!

9. LionBashar

LionBashar New Member

just tested the chatwing app builder and can confirm the app wizard available makes it straightforward to create an app. nice feature, the app supports Google admob ads so you can display banner ads and make money.

Draft saved Draft deleted