1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the oldest pieces of clothing you own?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I knew a girl in high school who worked at the T-Shirt World shop in the mall in 1986-87.
    We had worked together at the ice cream parlor in the same mall, but we got fired for smoking pot in the back of the shop.

Anyway, she made me several shirts, and I still have one.
    A green polo for a fictional bar she made up called O'Flaherty's.

cjericho likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some old ties from at least 25 years ago.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I have a black T-shirt from the Onion that reads, "Your favorite band sucks," and it's more than 20 years old. I intend to be buried in it.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have some very old ties.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I've got a couple ties of my grandfathers' that have to be from the 1930s, a couple dozen of my dad's, and even 10 or so of my own. I wear ties about twice a year, so I'm pretty well set.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've got some old ties; oldest one I really still wear is the tuxedo I was married in 20 years + ago; still fits and I've gotten a great deal of use out of it since I wear it at least once or twice a year.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

Have a Jacksonville Jaguars shirt from before they played, when the Jaguar looked too much like the car logo for the car company's liking. It was changed.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

One of the more awesome things I've seen is a guy's wife who made a quilt for his man-cave couch out of his old T-shirts. That is love personified, right there.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have a couple of t-shirts from the mid-1990s, including a Grateful Dead inspired Lithuanian basketball shirt which I got at the Atlanta Olympics.

I still have the shirt which I wore on my first date with Mrs. W in 1997. I break it out every now and then.

I had 3 suits made in 2000 which now fit again and I wear them from time, as does my wedding tux from 2001.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I used to have a t-shirt compulsion. I had way too many. They took up my entire dresser, and there were still a lot of them that didn't fit in the dresser.
    I had no room in any of my closets or drawers for anything by t-shirts.

I wanted to have them sewn into some kind of wall hanging or blanket.
    The wife looked at me as if I were insane.

I took almost all of them to Goodwill.
    I am down to only three drawers of t-shirts now, and likely to pare down again in the near future.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Plenty of old ties. Bengals replica jersey circa 1988. Those are hanging in the closet, my wife and I have a couple of "sentimental clothes" bins in the basement that have old t-shirts and even some clothes I wore as a baby (you could have thrown those away, mom).

I used to have a Seattle Supersonics 1996 NBA Champions t-shirt, my dad was in the sports clothing business and after the Bulls won he was able to salvage a shirt from the going-to-Africa pile, I just wasn't allowed to wear it out. Never wore it at all; a few years ago I dumped it on ebay for $80 to a guy from Seattle.

Batman likes this.
  12. albert777

albert777 Active Member

I still have a V-neck sweater for my high school that I got when I was a sophomore in 1970, my old letter jacket (Class of '73) and a leather fringe jacket that I bought in the summer of 1972 when my family took a sidetrip to Matamoros while we were vacationing at Padre Island.

I also have, somewhere in my possession, a pale blue dressing gown allegedly from when my father was a baby, which would have been around 1931-32.

Draft saved Draft deleted