1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl LI thread: Now they're coming for you, Rog

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 22, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Patriots open as 3-point favorites. Makes sense as all six of their SBs have been decided by three or four points.

But we all know what the main storyline is here. And it doesn't involve the Falcons.

I'm thinking we'll end up with something like this:

[​IMG]

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The big matchup will be Malcolm Butler vs. Julio Jones. Antonio Brown had 7 catches for 77 yards tonight, though there was plenty of help and the Patriots played a lot of zone. Guessing they'll do the same against the Falcons.

3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

We'll see the finest QB performance EVER. And not by Brady.

4. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

The key for Atlanta is starting fast. They are a great front-running team because they have pass rushers. Also the pressure is not only there but also on the opposing QB because you know ATL is going to keep scoring. ATL has rushers but other than that the defense isn't that great so if they can get off to a 17-3 lead and can start getting after Brady, who is basically a statue in comparison to Rodgers, the Falcons can take it to the Patriots. But on the flip side if Blount is pounding and Brady and the Pats are playing in a close game, I think the Pats will ultimately win.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

New England has a good defense, but has faced a couple of mediocre offenses in the playoffs. Can they find a way to stop Atlanta in the next two weeks?

6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The real question is whether they can stop Atlanta from breaking multiple Super Bowl records.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I must admit, this is the most apathetic I've ever felt about a SB matchup. A team that I care and know nearly nothing about (other than that Matt Ryan apparently is awesome) vs. a team I greatly dislike and wish would finally go away.

I suppose when gameday comes I'll cheer for the team I care nothing about to beat the team I dislike, but I doubt I'll give it real thought before or after that day.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You're not the first person to say this, and I guess all I can think of is it's your loss. The Falcons are an exciting team to watch.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Falcons have more weapons than the Steelers. They can score a lot of points even when Jones is relatively quiet. You may be right about the strategy, but I doubt it will work as well as it did against Pittsburgh.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The spread is Pats minus three and the O/U is 58, which translates to a 31-28 or 30-27 Patriots win. Both of those sound reasonable to me.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Trolling their league partner?

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Falcons need to get better pressure up the middle against Brady than the Steelers did, that's for sure.

I'm not sure the Patriots can slow the Falcons' offense, particularly given the way they played yesterday. If Bell played, I don't think the Steelers would have squandered the red zone chances like they did. The Falcons aren't likely to miss those opportunities if they get them.

Draft saved Draft deleted