1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports and news designers - Boulder, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jan 8, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Digital First Media's design hub in Boulder, Colorado, is expanding. We are looking for experienced Page Designers in both sports and news as we add production of more daily papers to our current lineup. You'll have the opportunity to design major metros, such as the St. Paul Pioneer Press and the Denver Post, as well as work on dailies along Colorado's gorgeous Front Range. We are looking to fill several positions for sports and news with start dates in late January to early February.

Qualifications:

We're a match if you're a visual journalist with daily newspaper experience and a strong portfolio. Recent college grads with a strong portfolio and a page design/editing internship at a daily will also be considered. You have a deep understanding of page design and typography, a creative flair for headlines and a good knowledge of grammar, punctuation and AP style. You enjoy working as part of a collaborative team and have great people and customer-service skills, even under deadline pressure. A Bachelor's in journalism is a huge plus.

Only applications with a page design portfolio will be considered.

Successful candidates thrive in a creative, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.

Work schedule includes evening and weekend hours and some holidays.

Essential duties and responsibilities include:

• Production of high- quality, creative sports or news and features pages.

• Write headlines and edit stories.

• Communicate effectively with a variety of editors in other locations. As a design hub we work with most of our partner papers remotely, so you must be effective and responsive over chat and phone.

• Assure that critical deadlines and page- and copy-flow requirements are met.

Please send your resume and a link to your portfolio (PDFs are also fine) to Design Director Rob Quan at quanr@dailycamera.com

Prairie Mountain Media is part of Digital First Media and a subsidiary of MediaNews Group.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - News and sports page designers

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

This one time in Boulder I stole a mattress from my roommate

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Our local paper is now designed at one of these regional hubs. No disrespect to the people who work there (why would anyone in Wisconsin be expected to know anything about an Oregon city) but it is a daily disaster, especially the agate page, which when we produced it had a local/West Coast flavor. Now it's just "fill as much space with wire copy as possible."
    But Lee has cut costs, which trumps all.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am from Colorado and went to school in Boulder and I think it is a cool place to work and live but expensive as hell. The municipality has spent 50 years buying land up to the top of the valley the city sits in to preserve open space. The city also limits building permits to preserve their enclave status. But the rents drops a lot if you are willing to commute into the City of Boulder from the eastern part of Boulder County or Broomfield. You would closer to the attractions of Denver because you would be living on the northwestern edge of the blob. You could also drive a little further and live in northwestern Adams county or southeastern Weld county and save even more money.

To give some ideas of the distances the Daily Camera building in downtown Boulder is 30 miles from Denver City Hall on Google maps. The areas I describe are roughly half way between the two locations.

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Really?

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The ultimate in cruel irony would be a newspaper in Boulder that drug tested.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Obviously, anyone with questions about the area can PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted