1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree with you and support school choice. I think that there have been good and bad private schools and I think many of the churches run school systems that are better than many public districts (notably the Catholics).

But the Feds have not been the real roadblock to more school choice. Schools are controlled at the local and state level. Ironically statewide ballot initiatives have had a lot of trouble getting passed. One reason is that traditionally Republican rural areas have not supported them (I remember a school choice initiative failing years ago). If you live in a a small town all this talk about having additional options is superfluous. A bunch of private schools are not going to open. There is simply not enough of a population to support them. So what does additional school choice do to help much of Trump's base.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Hat tip.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

I did not think that the distribution system that DOE provides is limited to hydropower.
    Wikipedia again:
    " BPA has more than 15,000 miles (24,000 km) of electrical lines and 300 substations in the Pacific Northwest and controls approximately 75 percent of the high-voltage (230 kV and higher) transmission capacity in the region."

"WAPA built several parts of the important Path 15 corridor that connects power grids in the Southwest and Pacific Northwest (the rest was privately built by PG&E). Recently[when?], WAPA helped remedy a transmission bottleneck near Los Banos, California. That bottleneck was one of the reasons for the California electricity crisis in 2000-01. Another important transmission corridor WAPA built was Path 66, paralleling Path 15."

I do not define the above as trivial though I realize that word had different meanings to different people.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate, so what if the DOE was eliminated? Agencies can move into other departments and assets can be privatized.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I've been married almost 15 years and I'm still praying. Sad!

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. LanceyHoward

The point of the original post is that Perry repeatedly saying in 2012 that the DOE never produced any energy. Someone with a knowledge of DOE would probably not say that, given the importance that DOE plays in the the distribution of power in the West. That statement indicates an ignorance of the role of the DOE.

If Trump wants to abolish the DOE and move the entities in its control somewhere else is in my opinion, immaterial. If Trump wanted to privatize the production and distribution of power I would also not have any objection. I think you find huge opposition from Western agriculture and ranching interests. They would worry the Californians would buy all the electricity.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

9. Songbird

Pence is going to be running the White House soon as he House of Cards's Trump.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  10. Songbird

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I denounce Katie Rich.

12. Songbird

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.