1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's March 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Making donators great again!

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Didn't realize there was a separate thread on this.

Went with my wife, teenage daughter and one of her friends to the event in Spokane. Technically a women's rights rally, basically everybody with a left-wing cause came with their group. The only thing uniting the crowd was their hatred of Trump and the GOP agenda.

That being said ... it was encouraging to see three or four times the 2,000 people they were expecting. The portion of the civic center reserved for the rally was full two hours before the march started, but everyone mingled outside. Very chill, peaceful protest and march through downtown. Surprisingly, almost no Trump fans along the route ... just a few random middle fingers and F--- YOU from cars driving past.

This type of response and unified opposition will be needed again when Trump nominates his ultra-conservative Supreme Court justice.

EDIT: Sorry about the F-U quote, Moddy ... I dashed it out.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A fairly big deal so I figured what the hell but this is getting closed tomorrow and we'll go back to the one thread. Already had a "fuck you" and a few other lovely thoughts on this one. So while I'm flexible and not quite the asshole some think, I'm still an asshole. Enjoy it while it is here. For tomorrow, Have A Nice Day and Take It To the Politics Thread.

Carry on, I'm going back to my bottle of Fireball

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

From the end of a Spokesman-Review story on the Spokane rally:

Thousands more than expected join Women’s March in Spokane

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The crowd in NYC was stunning. Still going on.

All peaceful but passionate.

Now the job is to weaponize this movement into winning elections at the local, state and national level. We shall see if it happens.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Chicago Tribune said March was canceled, but rally continued, after crowd got unwieldy. Initial estimates were 22,000 would attend. Later revised to 50,000. Estimate of actual attendance was 150,000.

This demonstration, around the world, out to be an unexpected story even for those who planned to cover it.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Dishes must really be piling up today.

Jssst21 and HC like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one.

And here's the other thing: If you want to win elections, you have to appeal to more than I tend to believe the Democratic Party wants to admit. At a local level, you have Dem candidates and platforms who are the equivalent of putting five 6-1 guys on the floor because they dribble, shoot and pass pretty in the open court. The GOP puts a couple 6-9 guys out there, and it's game over.

Until the Democratic Party decides that it's going to have to tell some of its social agenda activists to wait on every issue that matters to them, they're going to lose and lose big at the local level. And losing at the local level is how Trump got elected. Blue states all over the Midwest have turned red. That wasn't by accident.

The marchers today - and let's be clear, it's women and men, regardless of what they call it - can march all they want. So long as the Democratic Party tent chooses to indulge individual whims over things that might actually help them win elections, the marches will go for naught.

cyclingwriter2 and HanSenSE like this.
  9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Rhetoric. Not action. When any law is proposed, much less passed, that lessens a sentence or increases a criminal burden on sexual assault I'll be in the streets with them.

Its an absurd claim.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was an FU to Trump. Good for them.

Deskgrunt50 and LongTimeListener like this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He seems a little bothered by it.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

To be continued in tomorrow's newser. Trump's world, where every day is Festivus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.