1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's March 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with what's going on, I guess. it just seems vague to me and, in light of a zillion petitions I've seen the last few months, like more whining about a free and fair election result. I am not going to get jazzed about anything other than Democrats showingbthey can win some elections. 200,000 urban liberals metaphorically jacking each other off? Meh.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lots of issues being represented today:

[​IMG]

Alma likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK, well now, there's something concrete.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And he's way more dedicated to the White Sox too, just look at what he shells out for tickets!

doctorquant likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And Lake Tahoe!

6. LongTimeListener

I'm going to take another stab at this for Dick:

One of the main points of quite a few women's rights leaders -- similar to civil rights or union leaders, for instance -- is that younger generations and even people who were once with the movement have begun to take all the gains for granted. Abortion being the hottest issue, up until now you would have a hard time convincing women that that right could go away. It just didn't seem politically feasible. But now it is.

There are a lot of issues like that. Workplace protections and pay equity. Health coverage. Sexual assault laws and enforcement. That's all stuff that a huge number of women probably felt like we were progressing on quite a bit over the last 30 years. And now it looks like not only are those not priorities, but the current president and Congress are going to be actively hostile to those causes. So for those women (and I would say my wife is one), this is a wakeup call as much as anything else.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I mean, it's somewhat nonsensical to ask what they're protesting when they've studiously avoided calling it a protest and have opted for "march" and "rally" framing ... (and of course with so many people it's not homogeneous and I'm sure there are some who are participating who see it as and are protesting specific things, but that wasn't the focus of the general organization).

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...Guiding+Vision+&+Definition+of+Principles.pdf
    Mission & Vision
    Unity Principles

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

This has been said about every rally ever.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still 654 days till mid-terms.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The Left's timing is impeccable.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Bark bark said the sea lion

Riptide likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.