1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Jesus F. Christ, read this.

https://theringer.com/syria-barack-obama-legacy-853644abdd1b#.1tausgqvp

The writer, an immigrant Syrian, goes all "Starman" on Obama in a compelling, heart breaking narrative. . Props to them for publishing this story on a site that profits primarily from a progressive orientation.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Medium, which the Ringer is partnered with and is providing Simmons' content management system, looks to be in real trouble. It laid off a third of its staff 2 weeks ago and is really struggling with its ad-based revenue strategy.

I don't know what that means for Simmons and his site, but my guess from things I have read is that the Ringer probably isn't generating the traffic and ad revenue (relative to what he has spent) that he was hoping for. On top of it, the deal that he has with Medium was giving free web hosting and saving him on content management system costs, along with Medium promoting content for him (probably a smaller benefit) -- in return, they share ad revenues.

The thing is, Medium is now going to stop selling ads on its site. It has minimum revenue agreements with its partners, including the Ringer, but those agreements will expire within the next few months. I'd think that has left Simmons having to figure out a new direction for his own business model.

This doesn't just affect his site. Conde Nast and HBO have also partnered with Medium, and a bunch of other smaller publishers.

Alma likes this.
  3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Back in his writing heyday I always thought it was his best format.

Iron_chet likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yup, these are his readers.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think his time may be over.

His talent is not unique. His talent combined with ESPN's platform combined with the concurrent excellence of the Pats/Sox/Celtics was unique.

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

We will see. He wanted to be a TV icon and failed. He is back to writing. Apart from his annoying cliched writing style, his irreverence is still honest and entertaining. I also appreciate Simmons because by all reports he was/is a competent/ethical/caring manager, which is something that we need more of in all fields.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Exactly. If he's a Bucks/Brewers/Packers fanatic, he maybe gets a small platform, but Boston's proximity to Bristol, combined with an incredible sports run, was a perfect storm.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We're overlooking Simmons' popularity/impact as a podcaster. His podcasts still get millions of downloads every month. So even if no one was watching his TV show, they still care/listen to what he has to say.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Millions? Plural?

10. Steak Snabler

I have read it's around 500,000 an episode, and he does at least one a week, so yes, plural.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Steak Snabler

Any numbers there?

Draft saved Draft deleted