1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the oldest pieces of clothing you own?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

i have a football jersey 42 years old I still wear to mow the lawn. I have a couple of sweaters about 40 I still wear around the house.

Anybody else?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm wearing it right now. A sweatshirt I had in high school (Class of '89). Holes all over and it will eventually disintegrate in the laundry.

3. Starman

My jersey from the mid-70s (nylon-polyester) is wearing like iron. The printed-on numbers are fading away but the jersey itself is still in game condition -- no holes, ripped seams, etc etc. It'll last 40 more years as long as none of my kin soak it in bleach or something.

I've got a softball jersey of my dad's that's 50 years old and still wearable, but it's too small for me and I haven't worn it in 30 years.

Whoa -- holy crap, I have a couple sweatshirts of my dad's from when he was in college -- 65 years ago. I never wore them, so I don't count them as "my" clothes, but they're still in OK shape.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have two t-shirts from 1981 - one is from my Bat Mitzvah and the other is a Cars concert tee my friends bought for me. Both are a little too tight to wear in public, but I can still squeeze into them. I just got a bunch of HS and college t-shirts from the mid-late 80s made into a quilt, but they were all wearable.

I also have a really cool leather coat from the 60s that was my mom's. I need to remember to wear it.

5. Starman

Nobody minds when you gals squeeze into too-tight t-shirts. Not the same for guys (mostly).

I have a Springsteen shirt from "The River" tour in 1981 and a Who t-shirt from the "Farewell" tour in 1982. A load of college shirts from the late 70s/early 80s.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don't have any really old stuff I wear, but have a 1980 Lakers championship T-shirt and a LA Kings jersey from the early 80s. I think there's a Dodgers-Yankees World Series shirt from 1977 in a box somewhere and a couple shirts from the 84 Olympics.

I had a T-shirt I bought at a UCLA-Cal game around 1982 that pictured two bears humping and says "Go Bears Go." Gave it to my son and he hung it on the wall in his dorm at Berkeley.

I also have all my old youth baseball caps dating back to 1970.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A sleeveless Go-Go's t-shirt I bought at their concert at Billy Bob's in Fort Worth in 1982. And a t-shirt from Willie Nelson's picnic in Austin in '84.

And I have my dad's college letter jacket from the mid-1950s, but I've never worn it. It would be a bit snug on me.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Somewhere, I still have a Royals 1985 World Series Champions Jacket.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Bought a couple of Hawaiian shirts when I covered the MLB winter meetings in Honolulu in 1982. Still have them. (Unfortunately, they seem to have shrunk in the tummy area.) Also, in 1983, Cal was handing out commemorative T-shirts from The Play in 1982. I still have that one. I know that packed away somewhere are some softball jerseys from my work teams. Don't remember the exact years but they were around the late '70s early '80s.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have an original maitre d' jacket from the Polo Lounge in the Beverly Hills Hotel, circa 1950-something.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That sounds like something Fletch would keep in his closet just in case.

TigerVols, Flip Wilson and Chef2 like this.
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Football sweatshirt from 92.

Draft saved Draft deleted