1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL 2016-17 coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 12, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Isn't he also the first one to have head coaching experience before helming an NFL team?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Having to watch my favorite NFL team make an even greater mockery of their place in the league (2-14 not enough) by continuing to botch their coaching search, the only bright spot is that they lucked into Harbaugh in 2011, but that was only because (I believe) he wanted to be in the NFL and the Bay Area.
    People are severely down on their "Chief Strategy Officer" Paraag Marathe because he's a $$ guy ; I agree as well but I believe he's got a lot of rope because the Yorks are rolling in the $$ because Marathe got the stadium built and got the salary structure of the club in great shape. I'd think anyone would get that much leeway if you were a major contributor to the $$ coming in.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looks like Brian Gutekunst from the Packers is the 49ers' GM choice to pair with Shanahan (who is basically official now as coach). Eliot Wolf apparently took a look and said no thanks.

But that isn't the big part of the story. The big part is:

“It’s been Gutekunst for two weeks,” said one source close to the 49ers’ search. “He killed that interview. The owner says he’s Scot McCloughan without the drinking problem.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...wolf-pulls-out-running-49ers-gm-job/96779258/

My goodness.

Jed would definitely be unaware enough to say something like that.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Jed throw someone under the bus? Unpossible.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow!

Once again, I really did LOL when I read that.

6. LongTimeListener

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So that leaves the Arizona guy? Everyone seemed high on Gutekunst too. Oh well. Perhaps winning with class is just too tall of an order for some people

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Niners gonna have the Bay Area all to themselves. Any feeble incentive to produce a winner is gone.

9. LongTimeListener

By all tangible measures it should be a plum job, with an enormous revenue stream, $40M+ in cap space, the No. 2 pick and no albatross contracts. But working for the little brat and his bestest buddy the supposed data revolutionary is just that unappealing.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FTFY

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So long as the Giants and the Warriors keep winning and San Fran continues to be a joke under York, the Niners are going to play second banana. I get you mean among football and football is king in this country, but even the Sharks have a more loyal following right now than the Niners do. We'll see what happens when the Dubs move to San Francisco if that is going to choke out some support, but even then that organization has done a lot to turn that franchise around and garner a ton of respect from the Bay. Niners will be more favorable than the Raiders simply because they aren't trying to make a break for Vegas.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted