1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Oct 3, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Billy Wagner was arguably better than Hoffman. Same with Lee Smith. Bruce Sutter, Dan Quisenberry, Joe Nathan ... it's a pretty long list. (Obvious separation between all of these guys and Rivera.)

I suppose I don't mind Hoffman's inevitable inclusion. But the fact that he got more votes than Manny Ramirez, Larry Walker and Fred McGriff combined is, to me, beyond absurd.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can throw Manny in that group though. He is the first big name guy to be suspended, twice no less, under the harsher imposed penalties. I ., not counting Palmeiro and the dinky 10-game thing he got.

The second suspension against Ramirez ended his MLB career. I can totally see the PED people saying that once the rules were in place, I'm not voting for anyone who gets caught -- Manny, A-Rod, Braun, Bart Colon, Nelson, Cruz, Miguel Tejada -- and there were a bunch of voters who showed that because Manny wasn't on ballots that included Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, etc.

Now to compare to Walker and McGriff, that's a different story. But it is obvious why Manny, who would have been a first-ballot guy without the suspensions, Sheffield and Sosa are so low in the voting

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm almost convinced Palmeiro was set up. He's guilty as hell only for mind-numbing stupidity.

He was busted for Winstrol, which is like the easiest steroid to test for. The timing of his positive test, right before he got his 3,000th hit, is certainly curious. And he made himself a target by wagging his finger at Congress and left himself open by taking a B12 shot in the butt from Miguel Tejada. If I'm an athlete like that, not one fucking molecule enters my body that isn't vetted.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But wait five years when Ortiz is on his first ballot.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They will point to the postseason success/rings and the extra 1,500 plate appearances for counting stats.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh look. Jose the Clown is trying to be relevant again.

9. outofplace

So make those arguments, because I'm quite certain you are dead wrong with a few of the closers you just listed.

10. outofplace

And they will be correct in doing so. The post-season performance matters. So does the fact that Ortiz hit 232 more home runs.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Still not sold on Raines, but the Hall isn't worse for having him. Next year has a slew of guys I'd vote for: Chipper, Thome, Johan, Rolen, Vizquel. Damon had a nice career, but he was never considered one of the best players at any time. Highest he ever finished in an MVP race was 13th.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What was your Raines argument again? That his peak was too short?

Draft saved Draft deleted