1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 Running NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Probably the funnest game I've ever watched was Loyola-Marymount at Oklahoma in 1990. OU won by 60. Just get it out of the net, and run like hell to the other end.

Check out the box.
    http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/old_site/pdf/m-baskbl/OU_LMU_90_box.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=31000

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My teenage son, who only tolerates sports and/or history in limited doses, was spellbound when I showed him the 30 for 30 on Loyola Marymount.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Love him or hate him, General Westhead was an extremely interesting individual.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've got to put that on my dvr, I've somehow bypassed that one (loved many of the others, esp. the Jimmy Connors one)

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You'll be glad you did.
    Fascinating.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Westbrook gets his walkies in.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Crazy night in NorCal NBA:

1. Kings may have lost Rudy Gay to torn Achillies in win over Pacers. MRI Thursday.
    2. Durant drops 40 on Thunder in GS game at Oracle, but the talk of this one is a collision late in the first half between Westbrook and Pachulia. Latter gets a flagrant 1 after standing over the fallen Westbrook, who said “He hit me kind of hard. But I’m going to get his ass back – straight up.” Westbrook had triple double, but also 10 turnovers.
    3. Warriors also lose David West for two weeks with thumb injury.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cuban points at the Sixers as the reason why he doesn't blow up his team (even though he probably should). Why bottom-feed for a decade and amass lottery picks, and still be bottom-feeding a decade later? It similarly took the Clippers forever to draft in the lottery every year and finally catch fire.

Cuban undervalues the draft as a crapshoot, but in his defense he's been drafting low ever since the first full year he owned the team. He built the Mavs into a 2011 title winner primarily through trade after trade, and some ingenious ones (Keith Van Horn, anyone?). Big free agents won't give him the time of day, mainly because they know they can use him to swing a bigger better deal elsewhere. (Don't forget, Dirk Nowitzki was drafted before Cuban bought the team.)

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Way to step up there in the second half, Thunder.

Screen shot 2017-01-19 at 9.21.47 AM.png

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

SI also has a story this week about how much the 36-5 Warriors suck. It was a slog, though, with long passages recounting individuals' and the team's "clutch situation shooting" and even more arcane statistical minutiae in painfully excruciating detail.

That shit needs to start going in an info box or sider.

Draft saved Draft deleted