1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Not a DeVos fan, but this is clever.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, the Secretary of Energy. You don't really need to be qualified for that. You have employees and shit.

HanSenSE and YankeeFan like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to normalize him, but good Lord ... to paraphrase the board, DeVos is a garden-variety righty in that she wants to eliminate public education and replace it with Christian madrassas. We know this because under fire she struggled with the proficiency/growth distinction, which, of course, (virtually) none of us had ever heard of until the distinguished comedian from Minnesota let it be known that this was an opportunity to score some tribal signaling credit and tut-tut at those dumb-butt conservatives.

If "normalizing" is pointing out how ridiculously full of shit all of this is, I'll take my chances on being labeled a normalizer.

SFIND, cisforkoke and SpeedTchr like this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If conservatives don't want to eliminate public education, that is even worse for them, because at least if they do I can respect their ideological consistency

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We'll manage without, I'm sure ...

RickStain likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Secretary of Energy sounds like it could be a good title for a college athletic strength and conditioning coach.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

dq, you should know how basic a concept that is for an educator. It is a significant issue that she doesn't even seem to understand. It is the kind of thing she should have made sure she could respond to before that hearing even began.

This isn't about laundry. This is about the woman's record, the causes she has supported and her lack of qualifications for the job. The concern regarding her desire to take money out of public schools and spend it on private, Christian education is not new. It is not based on Franken making her look bad.

Hell, the man she is replacing was a terrible choice as well, but King at least had qualifications beyond donating a hell of a lot of money.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't think it is snobbish to want the person who will be in charge of federal education policy (and she will be) to have a depth of knowledge about that field greater than you could find in a random sample at a PTA meeting. And that was hardly the only example of her being unprepared during her testimony or deliberately evasive about what she thinks or plans to do.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How did you know when it was bedtime at Micheal Jackson's Neverland Ranch?

When the big hand touched the little hand.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No suit and tie, gym shorts no matter the temperature!

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yankeefan has already told us the the Presidents job isn't all that important.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Tim Kaine's criticsm of DeVos regarding IDEA is rich considering there are vast inequalities regarding public school education within states. It's not like the federal standard is indicative of high quality in the first place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/...tion-secretary-confirmation-donald-trump.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.