1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Print publications you subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For the longest time, my father kept getting two Sports Illustrateds each week even though he was only subscribing to one. Needless to say, I got the other one.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that he's been pretty open about his real life identity.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, it's pretty much not deniable that nobody stops at four drinks. And then before you know it, your head's over a toilet and that pube on the rim becomes just a contemplation companion swaying softly in the breeze of the hotel's gently sighing air conditioning.

Or so I've heard.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I stopped at four last night. Had I gone one more, I probably would have felt like trash this morning. At four (over a three-hour time frame), you can still make a reasonable decision on what you want to get out of the night. (For me, it was decent sleep.) After five, it's Animal House.

To be clear, the drink was light beer, not whiskey.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

NYT (weekends only)
    New Yorker (I read it digitally)
    New York (same)
    SI
    SI for kids
    my town paper
    The Atlantic
    The Economist
    Entertainment Weekly (which I haven't paid for in forever)
    ESPN Mag (for the insider)

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Los Angeles Times
    Paper where I work (we used to get a discount, but no more)
    SI (which I rarely open)
    Westways (Through AAA)

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I apparently now get Rolling Stone? I came home, and it magically appeared in my mailbox, saying I have a subscription until the end of next year.

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I got Rolling Stone for 2 years without ever subscribing. Back when it was good, too.

There was also a sports publication that came for YEARS after the payments stopped. Years.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How do y'all have such great luck with getting magazines for free. I paid for a year of Esquire once and got like maybe two issues.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Once you've paid once, they don't want to cancel ... I remember with Rolling Stone, I'd get random issues for months after the subscription expired, with "LAST CHANCE" envelopes stuck to the front.

I mentioned The Nation earlier, and not only did we get the magazine for a while after not renewing, but we kept getting those damn "Friends of the Nation" phone calls looking for donations, too. Apparently they thought all we cultural elites are rolling in extra money ... ;)

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

ESPN the Magazine through an ESPN Insider subscription. I never read it. I got tons of free Playboys even though I quit subscribing to it years ago. Was a great mag until they dumped the centerfold. No point in it after that.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

How in the world do you people have so much time to read? Shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted