1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 Running NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 24, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Sixers-Rockets game on Jan. 27 has been picked up nationally by ESPN.

The rumor mill is churning that it may be because Ben Simmons is going to debut.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Always something with the Clippers. Paul out 6-8 weeks with a broken something or other.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You try rooting for Chris Washburn, Russell Cross, Speedy Claxton, Mookie Blaylock, Vonteego Cummings, Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Rony Seikaly, and Baron Davis Al Harrington to be the "savior" for 40 years; that's my justification for the blinded fanboism.

(As for the Cavs, I understand as well, I recall Stepien, Lloyd (World B.) Free, the brief Price/Ehlo/Daugherty period, then darkness until LeBron #1).

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

As a neutral east coaster, I always found the Warriors very fun and likable.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They finished 73-9 last year, you know. And Curry's percentages are down substantially.

There was also a flashpoint moment where they didn't know each other was going to be and ended up with a terrible final shot against Memphis, part of a blown 24-point lead.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It really is the worst 35-6 NBA team that I can remember!

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know it sounds ridiculous in context of their record, but they have looked off at times. Last year they were better, with a 35-2 start. Certainly when the expectation was that they were going to score too much to even bother worrying about anything else, it's worth looking at what's happening. And they have struggled at times.

There were people who thought getting Durant wasn't such a great idea if it cost them Barnes' versatility and Bogut's inside presence. At the very least, we can say that belief doesn't sound so outlandish.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Looks like D'Antoni is channeling his inner Westhead.
    Putting up an average of 40 3's a night.
    Might just have to tune in when they play the Warriors.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just to pile on, you look at their six loses, five are against teams they are going to have to beat on the road to a championship: San Antonio (once), Memphis (twice), Cleveland (home-and-home split) and Houston (once). And of course there was the annual taking of a dump against the Lakers. They do have wins against playoff teams, but the teams you put up as measuring sticks they have not done well against. We'll get a better idea when they play the Spurs again plus they still have three against Houston and two more against Memphis. But there's enough to give a side eye about just how good the Warriors are right now. Then again, they only have six losses after adding a gigantic piece where other teams started worse when they had big shakeups to their lineups.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The regular season, aside from a few "big" games vs. the Cavs, Spurs and Rockets, and there may be a few more down the stretch as they play for home court, are essentially a warmup act for the playoffs for the Warriors.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That Loyola Marymount team was one of the funnest teams I ever watched; Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers with some Jeff Frye thrown in (maybe he an play for D'Antoni?)

Draft saved Draft deleted