1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Quoted to answer the previous post by justgladtobehere.

Also, I would argue that it is more disgust than hysteria.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm really sad no Golf Digest editors or writers hang out on SJ.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't have a hard-on for the DofEd, but I'm skeptical as to how concern about her qualifications is actually rooted in concern about her qualifications. I am troubled by the video posted by @dixiehack, but I'm not as troubled as you might think and that's not because of my ideological priors. In part it's because of my experience in dealing with the educational bureaucracy; it has and pushes its own jargon so as to restrict access to the priesthood to those holding the "proper" views. So she was ignorant on the proficiency/growth distinction here. If she'd nailed it here and then proffered it in exactly the same manner elsewhere, she'd have been wrong because thus-and-such means X when you're talking about Y but not when you're talking about Z.

Mainly, however, I'm skeptical because, despite the ardent wishes of many, the DofEd doesn't really set educational policy. It snips around the edges, but educational policy is incredibly decentralized. The Secretary of Education isn't far removed from the Postmaster General of old.

Hermes likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Brutal

5. doctorquant

I hate his admiration for civil asset forfeiture. I hate it. I hate that policy. I hate it. With every fiber of my being I hate it.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Stop demeaning yourself.

7. doctorquant

Too bad I haven't put any intellectual energy into that position.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am with you. How this somehow became a legalized tool of law-enforcement oppression speaks to how we far we have let our country lose its way with regard to individual liberty.

It not only flies in the face of every injustice our country fought its independence for (life, liberty and PROPERTY -- they are the basics). ... in practice, those legalized thefts do everything they can to deny any due process, and they get used vindictively to TRY to create financial stress for any person some out-of-control person given unreasonable authority wants to target. It's insidious.

RickStain likes this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Betsy DeVos has a few billion qualifications to be a part of the Trump cabinet. None of those, of course, relate to education policy at all.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn Chinese conspiracy!

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Brutal or not, you can't argue -- from an editorial standpoint -- that Golf Digest had a compelling reason to put out an issue on a President with close ties to golf.

We're wrestling with that ourselves in our organization, since the Senior PGA Championship will be held at Trump National DC, one of our member clubs. I think we've decided to just stay away from the politics side of things, but you can't ignore it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.