1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Print publications you subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wait a minute.
    Are you saying that if I get my PhD there's a chance I could get a Family Circle for free?

What about Red Book?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Some say that dissertation ain't worth the trouble ... my coffee table says they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

You didn't re-up on Swank??? :D

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Strictly online, my brother.....

Fly likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm surprised a subscription doesn't require collateral. I go to the library to read it.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As LTL noted, there would be fewer magazines if it wasn't for school fundraisers.

The local newspaper, where I work (freebee)
    Idaho Catholic Register (twice a month, through church)
    High Country News
    Sunset
    Mother Jones

Rolling Stone has been on and off for a long, long time (since I got a gift subscription in high school, late 1980s). Haven't had a subscription for a few years, but I'll still pick up one at the newsstand (!) once in a while.
    We also subscribed to The Nation for a few years, but it was too much of a chore to read it. Really, it's your great-grandparents' lefty magazine, and way too focused on the East Coast.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What about Ranger Rick, do they give you that one, too?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I love Ranger Rick!

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My 30k-plus population suburb sends out a free monthly mag. Turns out our local Ron Swanson wannabes rather like having their pictures and rotating columns delivered in every constituant's mailbox and regard it as an important government function.

I also get sporadic (and always late) magazines from the KSU Alumni Association that make the hometown magazine seem worthwhile.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Our library has it available digitally so I will go through it on occasion that way.

I have been a Rolling Stone subscriber since 1978 and wish they would stop fucking with their digital archives.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He left when his editor left.

New gig at the Atlantic:

swingline and HC like this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

None.

Sweet Jeebus Christ, at one time in the 1980s I used to get four daily newspapers and probably a dozen magazines.

Haven't bought a dead-tree newspaper in five years. There are like three magazines I subscribe to intermittently but they've all run out in the last several months.

Draft saved Draft deleted