1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

cyclingwriter2 and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder if this is meant to be overthought. Watched it again the other night. The scene after Rey finds the light saber and talks to Moz (Maz?), and Moz says "That light saber belonged to Luke. And his father before him. And now it calls to you."

Seems to me Rey is a Skywalker. Luke's kid? A secret Leia kid hidden from Han Solo?

3. Deskgrunt50

Let's pause to remember all the independent contractors who perished when Death Star 2 was blown up. Victims of a war they had nothing to do with:

I Should Coco and Batman like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Obi Wan knocked up Padme, who had a third kid in secret. The Naboo child support laws are a real bitch, even if the mom is dead, so on his way to Tatootine Obi Wan dumped Rey on some godforsaken planet and said he was going for cigarettes.
    Thirty years later she found the Millennium Falcon.
    Episode VIII chronicles Rey's quest to wring some back child support out of Obi Wan's force ghost. Don't be fooled when the title is revealed as "Jedi vs. Jedi"

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I don't think she is a secret child from Leia. If she is Leia and Han's why hide her even if Kylo Ren had turned? He went after the new jedi anyway and Rey was at least a few years old when she was hidden away. Ren would have known about her already. The idea might be that they knew her heritage and wanted to get her away before Snoke and Ren caught on.

If she's a Skywalker, she would be Luke's just because Ren might not have met his cousin yet or at least it would have been easier to sneak her off. Luke went off and hid, so there was no one for Ren or Snoke to torture to get the whereabouts of Rey. He would have captured Han to find out if it was his sister and who knows if an older Leia untrained in the force can resist like she did when she hid the location of the rebel base.

She could be Obi Wan's even with the lightsaber. We see her giving back the saber at the end of TFA. It is plossible that Obi Wan used the saber to call Rey on the path to find Luke, his old padawan. We hear young Obi's voice when she first picks up the lightsaber and she gets that quick montage of events. If she is Obi Wan's granddaughter she would have been unknown to Leia and Han initially and her parents may have been discovered as Kenobis and rushed to hide a daughter no one knows about.

I don't know, that's my thought. Even so, I'd hedge my bet on her being a Skywalker.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Star Wars Episode VIII: Dawn of Justice

7. Deskgrunt50

Good stuff. Could be the case.

The Leia-kid theory I have is this: Jedi begin training as little kids. Leia and Han send their son to train with Luke as a 4-5-year-old.

In TFA, Leia tells Han "I never should have sent him away. That's when I lost him. That's when I lost you both."

So, they could have sent Kylo Ren 20 years before we meet him. Han leaves when he's sent away. Leia has another kid with another guy. Ends up putting Rey into hiding her after Kylo goes to the dark side. Boom. You have a 25-year-0ld Kylo and a 19-year-old Rey. They've never met. Han and Rey have never met. But there's a connection. And when Rey and Leia hug at the end of TFA, there's a reunion feeling.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Until I'm wrong.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah, now that Han is dead, if it's revealed Rey is Leia's daughter from another (unknown??) guy, it just makes Han look like an, uhmm, cuck.

Rey is Luke's daughter from an as-yet unknown mom. Laura Dern, listed in the Ep. 8 cast, would be about the right age to be her mom.

Dern doesn't really look enough like Daisy Ridley to be real believable as her mom; somebody like Jennifer Connelly or Catherine Zeta-Jones would have been better. But they can make Dern up enough to fake it.

Flashback: Luke and "Mara Jade" meet at about the time Ben Solo is taking his padawan training from Luke. "Mara" becomes pregnant about the time the 8-10-year-old Ben Solo is turned to the dark side/abducted from his Jedi training.

In the ensuing chaos, "Mara" is separated from Luke, who goes into exile.

"Mara" flees and ends up on Jakku when Rey is about 5-6. That's when we see the abandonment scene in TFA.

To NOT make Rey Luke's daughter would be a completely random, Shamalayan-type twist-for-the-sake-of-twisting. They'd have to make her the daughter of somebody we never heard of and don't care about.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    sgreenwell likes this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I actually thought they should have kept the scene, only without Chewbacca ripping off Unbar Plutt's arm. It's a little too savage for Chewbacca's character (Han's warning to C3PO aside), but I thought it was an important connection point between Rey and Chewie, who I presume will now be a solid pilot/co-pilot team akin to Han and Chewie. The look on her face as Chewie comes to her defense I think set up a nice relationship moving forward.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know. After all the talk, I kind of like the idea of having a Wookie rip somebody's arm off, though I could understand toning it down and having Chewbacca just knock him on his ass instead.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, but Han never said directly that Chewbacca would rip someone's arms off for losing, only that a Wookiee would. And given the development of Chewbacca's character, it seems out of touch with who he is.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I understand your thinking, but ripping Plutt's arm off is canon now if it is in the novelization.

Draft saved Draft deleted