1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-area team complaints: How do you respond?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, Apr 2, 2011.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Seriously, guys, show some respect.

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and Doc Holliday like this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you're going to have an act on here, like many others, the only bar you have to clear is to occasionally be entertaining. Try harder.

dixiehack and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or show us your boobs.

OscarMadison and Doc Holliday like this.
  4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Or get a fucking haircut.

OscarMadison and bigpern23 like this.
  5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I'm baking the cookies, I add an extra splash of vanilla for that subliminal burst of flavor.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

What about the holder and long snapper? They work just as hard. </stirring pot>

OscarMadison and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Weak sauce on his part. Injuries happen, at this case (as is it most of the time) at an unfortunate time. Don't know of any metric or program that can project how well an injured athlete would have done if healthy. It's too bad it happened, but life just sucks sometimes.

PaperClip529 and TyWebb like this.
  8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

We cover 15 schools, 13 of which have football. Everyone has basketball, volleyball, track, baseball and softball, many have wrestling, and a few have soccer, tennis and swimming.
    We don't make any all-area teams. I've worked at this paper since October 1998 and we've never done it.
    Our conferences have their own, the coaches and The AP writers pick their own district teams, and The AP handles the all-state stuff.
    Several years ago, one of my co-workers caught some flak for writing a column detailing how one of the conferences picks its football players. Basically, the best team gets X amount of players, with the second-best team getting a few less, and on down the line. He wrote it should be based more on merit so the list didn't end up with two or three first-team players at the same position.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I've seen that, it's a chicken-shit way to handle all-conference teams. The coaches can't be adult enough to do a meeting/voting and let it sort itself out, so they just say Podunk gets 8 all-conference spots and the coach can pick them. Complete chicken-shit.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

No, I think people are saying if you're going to say things so completely shit-stained idiotic, like "preemptive strike" is an element to self-defense, no one will take you seriously or think you're anything but a poor attempt at trolling.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

B-Wip, he's trolling you. Don't encourage him.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My newspaper chooses its own all-star teams. But we also publish the coaches' lists, and I suspect most reporters use them at least for background.

I discovered this fall that not all coaches' teams are created equal. For example, boys soccer ranks players for both the conference and county lists. Girls soccer does not, using a similar system to what fossywriter8 describes. (I think the county tournament finalists get extra kids, but I don't remember the rest.) Football does something else, and I think there were three different all-star teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted